Chapter 8

Marie's POV

I hate having to wait like this... I'm wrapped up in a blanket sitting on a chair. Waiting for Bernard to return with my clothing.

Hopefully with my clothing...

I let out a sigh and stare out the window that looks onto the other side of the giant building. The building I now called home.

I watch as soldiers walk by, man focussed and all on their own missions. My window was far enough away that they couldn't see me watching them. I couldn't contain my fascination and interest in how much they seemed to care about their jobs. One of the seemingly scariest jobs in the world,  I would imagine.

Why would anyone want to be a Nazi?

I'm sure most of them were forced, but the ones that chose this way of life, or enjoy it... I don't understand.

Maybe I'm just naive and don't see the positive in the situation. All the money in the world would not convince me to tear families apart and ruin people's lives.

My eyes wander away from the window and scan across my small private room, which was just an office with a ratty bed placed in it. I never really asked who's office it was. Was it Bernard's? I wondered as I searched for photos of the office's owner.

"Hey" a sudden voice calls from behind me. I jump in my seat and grab my chest, feeling my pounding heartbeat.

Bernard was standing in the doorway, my clothes in hand. I let out a sigh of relieve at my hand-me-down garments.

"Hi," I respond with a shy smile.

"You scared me," I laugh nervously, daintily looking up at him.

"I can see that" he chuckles, watching my small hand placed over my chest.

I stand up from the sturdy wooden chair leaving the blanket behind. I strut over to Bernard and take the clothes from his trembling hand. I peek up at him through my lashes. He had a look of shock and awe that never ceased to make my heart jump.

I begin to change into the clean clothes, sitting back down on my creaky bed.

"You look nice today" he compliments me and begins to play with my hair. He was looking down at me with something glimmering in his eyes. A strange sparkle I had never seen before.

"Probably because I took a bath" I joke and laugh trying to cut the strange tension. He just smiles and kisses my forehead gently.

I close my eyes at the warm sensation and smile again.

"Do you think I could try to walk around today? Like outside the office?" His smile fades, worry now distorting his features.

"Uh, I guess we could do that if you wish" he puts his arm out for me to hold, we walk out of the small office into the hall.

"People might stop us, or glare" I look up at his beautiful face

"As long as I'm with you, I'm fine" he looks down at me and leans in to kiss me, but a soldier begins to walk towards us

He Immediately looks up and adjusts his posture

The soldier nods at Bernard and glares at me, making me gulp and hold on to Bernard's arm tighter

"Do you want a sweater or something?" He asks looking at my shirt, I hadn't realized but my shirt was white and see through.. I wasn't wearing any undergarments. Back when I was at home, if I ever dressed without my heavy underclothes I would have been shamed back into my room.

"I'm fine" I smile

We continue walking through long corridors with brown carpets and large flower bouquets at the end of each hall.