Chapter 16 - The Road Less Traveled

"You owe me big time, bro. It's so damn early I can barely even function."

Max looked back at Leo, who was sitting in the passenger seat of his car. He was half asleep himself.

"Seriously, I can't believe you talked me into waking up at this ungodly hour. Are you listening to me?" he asked before slapping him over the head.

"Yes, I know...I'll make it up to you when I get back alright?" Leo mumbled.

"Yeah right. Estás de una mala hostia tío. You've been so fucking moody lately you're impossible to deal with. I swear you might as well be getting your damn period."

"Hey, watch your language in front of the twins," Leo said.

"Do you not see them? They're practically drooling back there," Max said.

He turned around and, effectively, they were both profoundly asleep.

"I don't know why they insisted in coming," Leo said, shaking his head.

"You really don't know? They've been sulking for the past three days that you'll be gone. I can't believe you don't notice these things."

Leo thought about that and frowned. He hadn't noticed. He had been a shitty brother to them lately, to all of them. He needed to fix that ASAP. It would be hard enough on them once he moved back to London.

"Can you just lay off for once?" Leo exclaimed.

"Have you been getting into fights again? Don't think I haven't seen your hand," Max pointed out.

Leo looked at his bruised hand and flexed it out. He grinned at the memory of punching Johan in the face again. Just remembering his dumbfounded look of complete shock almost had him laughing again. Almost. It was the one thing that had brought him any sort of satisfaction in months.

"You should see the other guy," he said proudly.

"Unbelievable. Is this about Mia again?" Max asked, bluntly.

"No, it's not. So drop it." It obviously was.

"So let me just get this straight. She never did anything to hurt you, she never cheated on you or anything like that. And she told you since the beginning she didn't want to be in a relationship. Why are you holding a grudge again?" Max asked mockingly.

"I told you, I don't want to talk about it. Why are you even defending her? I'm your brother, for crying out loud."

Max pulled over at Terminal 1 of Madrid Barajas Airport. "I'm just saying...she was honest with you and you just took it too far. You got carried away with all the lovey dovey bullshit. She needed time and you didn't give it to her. Instead you got all jealous. What did you expect?"

"You're unbelievable you know that? Thanks for the ride...and unsolicited advice," Leo added sarcastically.

"Anytime, bro," Max retorted.

Leo got out of the car and pulled out his suitcase from the trunk before slamming the door shut. As if on cue, the twins woke up full of energy and exited the car.

As he was preparing to say goodbye, Sofia asked, "Can we go inside with you, Leo?"

"I don't think that's a good idea..." he said, thinking of all the other students who would be at the counter checking in. At least, one in particular.

"C'mon, Leo. Please?" Nico added.

Leo sighed. It was really hard to say no to them. "It's really up to Max," he pointed out.