Chapter 2 - Surprise Encounters

Mia was at her usual spot in the computer lab. She had already gone through all the websites she normally browsed through and decided it would be a good idea to print the slides for her next class. She was standing at one of the printing machines when she felt someone approach right next to her. Deciding not to pay the person any attention, she pretended to concentrate on the printing job in front of her.

"Do you know how these printers work?"

Mia turned around to face the person that had asked her the question and met a pair of stunning dark blue eyes.

It was Leo, she remembered him clearly from orientation. They had never spoken before as he was in another section from hers. She remembered he had said he was half British half Spanish and everyone had burst out laughing. She didn't really understand why others found that funny, she was half American and half Mexican herself, but had always introduced herself as Mexican having lived there during most of her upbringing.

"I don't think we've met before. I'm Leo. You're Mia, right?"

He smiled slightly at her and she took in his image. Tall at clearly over six feet, tanned skin, and dark thick hair. Although his features were rather boyish, he screamed of sex appeal. He was wearing regular jeans and a white henley shirt, but she couldn't remember the last time someone looked that good in simple clothing. He was the real definition of tall, dark, and handsome. Not to mention those piercing ocean blue eyes. All of which would clearly be off limits.

"Umm...yeah," she managed to say.

"So she speaks," he responded, looking at her quizzically.

Mia was taken aback. What the hell was that supposed to mean?

"You're meaning to tell me we've been in school for three months and you don't know how to work the printers," she stated coldly.

Where was the attitude coming from? Must be from all the solitary confinement.

Leo shrugged his shoulders. "Well, I usually just print all this nonsense at home, but didn't have a chance to this morning."

Dammit, she had judged him too quickly. Feeling incredibly embarrassed, she hurriedly showed him how to log his account into the printer. He had barely just thanked her, when she quickly grabbed her slides and fled the scene without saying another word.

Good job, idiot. Way to cause a first impression, she thought.

*****

After class, Mia headed towards her usual study room, where she met with her assigned work group every day for an hour between classes. She usually arrived 15 minutes early since she had a break between her last class and the beginning of study group hour. Most people took that break to get a coffee or have a quick smoke, but she was content using that time to herself.

As she entered the study room, she silently cursed under her breath. None other than Leo was in the room, utilizing the computer. After their awkward meeting earlier, he was the last person she wanted to see.

As he was facing the wall, she almost turned around and walked back out the door hoping he wouldn't notice her, but then reasoned she would look ridiculous if he did. After all, it was her study room he was invading, although not technically for another 15 minutes.

Instead, she slowly made her way to the study room table and set down her belongings, as far away from him as she possibly could.

"Hey," she mumbled, in some form of semi greeting.

He did a half turn, looking behind his shoulder for a moment, and then turned around again without saying anything. Great.

Deciding it would be best to ignore him, she took out one of her course packets and began reading one of the assignments she hadn't gotten to yet for her next class.