Chapter 8 - Noches en Madrid

Friday night. Mia couldn’t have been more relieved. Somehow she had gotten through the week and now it was time to unwind. Victoria from class had convinced her to go out with a group of people to Gabana, one of the trendy clubs in town.

Normally, she would have declined or made up some type of excuse, but curiosity had won her over. Everyone was always talking about the stupid club, and Mia wanted to see for herself what all the fuss was about.

She also didn’t want to admit it, but she thought if she went she might possibly run into a certain someone. She hadn’t heard from him since their strange encounter on Monday morning, and was beginning to feel anxious about it. Had she done something wrong?

By the time they got to the club, it was almost 2:30 in the morning. Mia couldn’t believe it, but they had told her clubs usually don’t open until 2am and only started to get filled up later. How crazy was that? That was usually the time she went home!

Everything in Spain started much later than usual. Dinner at 10pm, bars at 12am, and clubs at 2am. No wonder everyone always mentioned the nightlife in Spain.

Once inside, they headed to the bar to get the ‘free’ drink that came with the admission fee to the club. She had just barely gotten her drink, when an eager Spaniard approached her and started talking to her. Normally she would have just brushed him off immediately, but what the hell, she decided she would give the poor guy a chance. He seemed harmless enough.

She was wrong. Turned out Santiago was being extremely pushy and after 15 minutes she decided she had given him the light of the day.

She made up an excuse of needing to go to the bathroom and walked away. She noticed his gaze following her, so she ended up having to act the part and actually go to the bathroom. Once inside, she decided she might as well use the toilet to kill some time.

She looked in the mirror and for once had to admit she was looking pretty good. She had decided on a cute black dress and sexy heels she would wear every now and again when she went out in New York, and had even done a nice job with her hair and makeup. Who was she trying to impress?

Mia walked out of the bathroom and headed towards the bar. Time for a refill. If only she could get the bartender’s attention. She hated how it always took her forever to get a drink at a bar, and them some guy would show up and get his own drink in two minutes. Tonight wasn’t proving to be an exception. After waiting for 10 minutes, she decided it was about time to give up.

“I have to say I’m pleasantly surprised.”

A strong, warm hand pressed against her lower back. Mia looked up, and sure enough, Leo was standing right beside her.

She tossed him a sultry look. “Oh yeah? And why would that be?” Was she flirting with him? The drink must have gotten to her head already.

“I just never imagined you coming to a place like this in a million years.” He motioned towards the bartender, simply raising two fingers.

“I’ve never been to this place, but I had a good run of clubbing during my college years. Believe it or not, I used to go out all the time.”

“I would’ve loved to have seen that.”

The bartender came back with two vodka tonics and Leo handed one over to her.

“How did you do that? I’ve been standing here for 10 minutes y nada.”

Leo shrugged. “I know the guy. So no one’s come up to you this entire time?”

“Nope. I don’t get noticed that often,” she replied.