The Devil Wears Girl Jeans (Chapter 30)

I scowled as I trudged up the stairs to the school the next morning, wringing out my hair on the front carpet. As it had turned out, rejecting Tristan also meant that I would no longer have a ride to school. Basically, I was stuck walking in the torrential downpour until we made up. It was almost enough to make me go talk to him.

Almost.

I felt my phone vibrate somewhere in the pile of clothes I was wearing, and struggled through the layers until finally my fingers closed around it. Dallas' name flashed on the screen, and I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. What was he doing up before 8 o clock on a school day?

“Hartley?” he panted when I answered, and I immediately knew something was wrong. It sounded like he'd been doing something that involved effort, and effort was right up there with camels and World of Warcraft matinence on the list of things he hated.

“What's wrong?”

“What makes you think somethings wrong?”

“You're panting like an asthmatic sea lion. Obviously, something is very, very wrong.” I answered, balancing the phone between my ear and shoulder as I shrugged out of my soaking wet jacket and stuffed it into my already overflowing locker.

“Okay, yes, you're right. I need to talk to you like, now. Stay where you are.” he said, and promptly hung up. A few minutes later, Dallas stumbled around the corner, water droplets flying from his hair as he pounced on me

“First of all promise me you wont be mad.” he said, his eyes pleading with me.

I gave him a suspicious look. “What did you do?”

“I may or may not have taken a picture of you kissing Seth in order to one day blackmail you, and Tristan may or may not have gotten a hold of my phone and seen it,” he said in a rush, and I stared at him.

There was no way in hell Tristan would ever give me another ride to school ever again.

“YOU WHAT?!” I exploded, and he shielded his face as I lashed out at him, over and over again, praying that Id heard him wrong.

“Are you on your period? You're abnormally violent today.” he enquired, catching my hands as I brought them towards his face once again.

“No, that's just how I am, thank you very much. You basically just ruined everything, I'm allowed to be mad.”

“I know, I know. Ugh, I am so sorry Hartley, I'll try and make this better, I swear. Just avoid him until I can talk to him, okay? Please.”

I sighed and even though I knew that it couldn't possibly end well, I nodded.

“Fine.”

******************************************************

“Hartley! There you are, why didn't you answer your phone all weekend?” Halden said at lunch, jogging to catch up to me as I stalked down the hallway, trying to get out of the building in case Tristan was close by.