Flappy Bird

Flappy Bird is possibly going to be the death of me. It's as simple as,

"tap... tap.... tap tap... tap", but no. It has to be more complicated than that. For some reason, some how, this addicting yet frustrating, phone breaking, mind blowing game is fun.

I don't know why it became popular or why someone would make it so difficult, but it turns out that it is.

Possibly, you have no idea what I am talking about right now.

"Flappy Bird is a 2013 mobile game, developed by Vietnam-based developer Nguyễn Hà Đông[3][4] (Dong Nguyen) and published by .GEARS Studios, a small, independent game developer also based in Vietnam.[5] The game has a side-scrolling format and the player controls a bird, attempting to fly between rows of green pipes without coming into contact with them. The developer created the game over several days, using a bird protagonist which he had designed for a cancelled game in 2012."

Something from the wonderful Wikipedia. I've seen the cancelled game before in 2012, and then when I spot it in the app store in 2014, I decided that I should get the game. Biggest mistake ever.

The game, especially to me, is impossible. my high score is 10, while other people have gotten up to 142, which I still don't believe.

While playing Flappy Bird, you'd great this amazing sensation as you pass the first pipe, and then the next, and then the next. It's like every problem in the world was just solved, bit by bit because your score got higher and higher in that game, until...

you fall. Your life feels like it shattered and you become so frustrated that you want to break your phone which is where Flappy Bird lives as he trolls your mind, even though it's just a digital bird on a game.

After you're done swearing and yelling, you play another game because for some reason, Flappy Bird players enjoy the feeling they get when they play.

After so many people broke their phones, sweared their heart out, and jump in happiness after they get a new high score, the game was removed from the game from the app store for some reason I am not certain of, but I heard it included a serious consequence.

People still have the game, while others have different but similar versions of the game which includes Splashy Fish and Little Flying Bee. Those are what I have on my phone, which I'm not sure why because I hate those games.

Everyday, except Wednesdays, my school shows a broadcast during third period class at school that was put together by students. There's announcements, music, funny clips, cheesy "Joke of the Day" and other things. It's different everyday. A few days after Flappy Bird was removed, there was a broadcast about the game. "In Memory of Flappy Bird... Breaking Phones Since 2014", even though the game came out earlier. It was quite funny. One part of the clip was "Instructions On How To Get A High Score On Flappy Bird".

First, someone demonstrated what you need to do which was (not in this exact order)

Log onto your phone

Select the game Flappy Bird

Then do this... (he then did tons of unnecessary stretches and exercises that had nothing to do with the game)

And This,

And This,

Also This,

Then This, (he continued to do random things that were just... random)

Etc....

Now you need to collect these items (there were A LOT):

pizza,

your grandma,

a toilet,

jet pack,

pretzels,

a giant pair of pants,

and well there was just a lot of stuff that I can't list because I forgot most of them.

Then he should us a short clip of him playing Flappy Bird. His score in the end was something over 10,000. It was a glitch that he some how hacked into the game, or they used photo shop on the video. I'm not certain, but I knew that it wasn't real.

I still despise yet love Flappy Bird. It's the same feeling I have with potatoes.