Chapter 6

I'd managed to get through the rest of the week. I'd failed at my promise to Matt, cutting my thighs deeply on the last three days of the school week. I wasn't going to tell him that though. It was a Saturday morning, and Jimmy was taking me out again. He wanted to go shopping for some reason. It worried me why an 18 year old boy would want to go shopping. It crossed my mind that he actually might be gay, not that it would change my view of him in any way, it would just be a shock.

Matt wasn't overly happy when I told him about Tuesday night, and the fact that I was going out with Jimmy again, but he knew that Jimmy was one of the only people who could make me truely smile.

He came downstairs as I was sat on the sofa, watching some comedy show on TV.

"Waiting for Jimmy?" he asked, a smirk on his face.

"Um, yeah.. What's with the look?" I replied. Matt laughed lightly, coming to sit down next to me.

"Well, my best friend has been hanging out with my little sister without me. It seems like a bit of a cliche love story to me." he replied, nudging my side. My jaw dropped. Me and Jimmy? That was wrong on so many levels.

"Jimmy and Violet sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. First comes lo-" he sang, before I slapped my hand over his mouth making him shut up.

"Me and Jimmy are just friends." I said. "F-R-I-E-N-D-S." I sang in the same tune as he did. Matt snorted.

"Yeah right. I think you've got a thing for him. Why don't we go shopping?" he asked, his eyebrow raised at me.

"You can come if you want. And I don't have a thing for him. Jimmy actually makes me genuinely laugh, he's trying to take my mind off things, can't you see that?" I snapped unintentionally.

"Okay, sorry. I was just teasing. It's up to you who you decide to date anyway.. or be friends with." he said as I shot him a glare. "But if you did develop a thing with Jimmy, you would tell me wouldn't you?"

"Yes, Matt. If I was going out with anyone, I would tell you. But I don't like Jimmy in that way. I never will." I sighed, leaning back into the sofa.

"Alright. And I don't wanna come shopping by the way." Matt laughed.

"Didn't think so."

I heard a knock on the door and got up slowly to answer it. Jimmy was stood on the porch with his hands in his pockets, a small smile on his face.

"Ready to go?" he asked. I nodded and shouted a goodbye to my Mum and Matt, who was stood smirking at us. It was starting to annoy me how he thought Jimmy and I had a thing. I liked Jimmy, but only as a friend. He made me happier, but I would never want a proper relationship with him. It was too weird. It wouldn't be right. We walked the short distance to the shopping centre, talking lightly about random things.

"You heard about Brian and Sarah?" Jimmy asked.

"What about them?" I said, more venomously that I had intended. I really hated Sarah, and anything that involved her, which meant I wasn't too fond of Brian at the moment.

"Apparently, Sarah was telling that other girl.. Lana, I think her name is, that all Brian's friends are fags and emo cunts. Just basically chatting a ton of shit about all of us. Brian found out somehow and ended it with her, obviously. So now she's going round telling everyone that Brian tried to rape her, and that she had to attack him to get away." he laughed. I looked up at him, totally shocked.

"Seriously? Why would she do that? Brian would never ever do anything like that."

"Well, we know that. Sarah, however, seems to think different. She's tried telling the whole of your year. I don't think anyone believes her though. Everyone knows she's just a bullshitter. But she's seriously messed up in the head, why would you even do that?" he replied, shaking his head.