Chapter 2

It was a normal day for me, I woke up and for a moment, I totally forgot who I was. It was in that one second that I felt so happy. I couldn't remember anything, and everything was fine. I didn't have to worry, and I didn't feel as if the whole world was against me.

But just as soon as it came, it was gone, and I was suddenly faced with the fact that I needed to get through today. I managed to drag myself out of the bed and to the bathroom. I was the first one awake in the house, and so I didn't have to rush as much as I usually did.

I cleaned my face and brushed my teeth, then walked numbly back to my room to straighten my hair and apply my trademark eyeliner. I put my school uniform on and sat staring at myself in the mirror until tears appeared in my eyes. I wiped them away quickly, I needed to be strong. If I could get through yesterday, I could get through today.

It wasn't that there was anything in particular I was fearing about today, it was just going out in general. Seeing people and having to pretend that everything is fine, when it really isn't. I put my things in my bag and put my jacket on. I heard my Mum downstairs and walked down to get my water and money for school.

My brother waited for me and we went to catch the bus together. I usually put my earphones in for the bus ride, and so for me to do it today was no different. Most people saw it as ignorant, but Matt and I both knew music was my escape.

We arrived at school far too early for my liking, but I got up and walked towards the big building anyway. I pulled out my earphones and walked silently with my brother through the crowds of rowdy students.

Matt walked over to where his friends were, and I walked slowly behind him, half following him, half just wandering about. I didn't know where my friends were, they were usually late for school, and so I often found myself alone or with my brother on a morning.

"Hey, Violet!" I heard Jimmy's familiar scream, and turned around to see him running full pelt towards me, although I wasn't far away from him. I quickly changed my expression into one everyone recognised as my 'normal, happy self'.

"Hey, Jimmy!" I smiled as he pounced on me and gave me a huge hug.

"You should totally have come out on Saturday! I cannot believe Matt didn't invite you. Brian was so wasted! It was hilarious!" he said, speaking so quickly I could hardly understand him. I just laughed alone with him and tried to keep my real emotions hidden.

He dragged me over to where Matt, Brian and Zack were all stood. With them though, was a girl I recognised all too well. Sarah McKeagon. I'd known her almost all my life, and throughout it, she seemed to have made her goal to make my life a complete misery.

We completely hated each other, and we weren't quiet about it. I'd never fought with her, but we'd had a fair few heated arguments. As I walked over to the group with Jimmy, she gave me the worse glare I'd ever seen. If looks could kill..

"Hi, Violet." she said in an obviously fake friendly voice. I smiled back, equally as fake, though nobody seemed to notice. Except Matt. He knew we hated each other, but he seemed to not want to say anything for some reason.

"You guys know each other?" Brian asked, looking between us.

"Yep. Most of out lives actually." Sarah said, looking up at Brian with her big ugly grey eyes, and her disgusting plastic barbie smile.

"Oh, well then that's great! Violet, this is my new girlfriend." he said proudly. I felt like my jaw was about to drop. I raised my eyebrow involuntarily and Matt sent me an apologetic glare. He clearly didn't like this any more than I did.

"We only got together on Saturday, but I feel like I've known him forever." Sarah went on, her nasally voice going right through me. She was pathetic. She didn't like him. She didn't like his type. I knew the reason she was going out with him. It was because he was popular. She would do anything to improve her reputation, even if that meant going out with one of the 'mosher creeps', as I'd once heard her call me, and probably most of my friends, including Brian.