Alive Again

My eyes shot open as I gasped for air and sprung up. Angelica rushed to my side and hugged onto me while crying.

Was what I saw a dream? Or was it a memory?

My head ached as I tried to think about the vision I had just seen.

"I thought you died!?" Angelica cried. Tears streamed down her small face as she clung to me.

"It's ok. I'm alright." I said softly to her while rubbing her back. I rested my head back on the tree gazing up at its branches.

Sun light shined through the small gaps where the leaves didn't cover. A chilled breeze swept through the forest, blowing green leaves across the ground and up in the air.

It was a sad fate when a few landed in the forbidden life taking circle. One that probably ensnared many others before them.

How am I still alive? Did I get lucky?

I placed my arm over my face, covering the the cracks which little bits of light shined through.

That dream. Was it really my past? Were those people really my family?

I guess my life has been twisted from the start. From the very beginning I was living in a hell that I couldn't escape. Fate caught and tormented me in a prison that I can never get out of.

As I lied, rested back on the tree, I noticed the sun had started to set.

I need to find a place for Angelica and I to sleep soon. Once the sun goes down, who knows what else could show up in these god forsaken woods.

I slowly began to stand up and so did Angelica.

"Where are we going?" Angeica asked while sniffling. I wiped her last remainning tears and smiled at her.

"Don't worry, we are going to go to the near by town to find a place to sleep." I said, trying to make Angelica feel at ease.

I have many things going through my mind about my past, but right now, in the present, I need to make sure Angelica is safe, once she is, them I can plan my next move.

We truged our way through the thick forest as the sun kept going down. Night was appraoching us steadily as we continued to make our way through the winded trees which seemed to never end as they intertwined with each other.

At this pace we should make it to town just before its dark, but we don't have time to spare.

I glanced over at Angelica who looked like she was moments away from passing out. Her dress made it difficult to walk and her fragile body that had been locked away in a basment for many years was starting to give away.

I stopped and stooped down low to the ground with my back facing her.

"Here get on. You did great so far but you should rest. Your body isn't used to this much movement yet so you might be starting to push its abilities too far." I said while waiting for her to climb on.

She looked at me, worn out and tired, then nodded her head, agreeing with me, and grabbed on.

As her small arms wrapped around my neck, I noticed she was still holding onto her teddy bear.

Over the many years that she was hidden, that teddy bear was probably the only thing she had to keep her company.

She must of had a sad and lonely life, much worse than I, yet she is still able to trust and care about others, something I have trouble doing.

We continued on our way and for a while it felt as if we would never be able to leave the forest. It felt as if we would continue walking through the light eating woods forever.