Chapter 24 - Flaming Emergency!

The excruciating pain I expected never came. Just before the bullet leapt from Giovanni's gun, the door into the office burst open, and Ethan, Darkrai and Riolu flooded in. The bullet licked at my chest, and at the last possible moment, Ethan threw himself forward, aggressively slamming into my side. “Argck!” I chocked, flying across the room. We all heard it. The terrible sound of the bullet ripping into my brave saviour. There was a loud crash, and Ethan slumped to the floor.

Giovanni was paralysed with shock, his arm swaying in the air, gun protruding outwards. Ayshe saw her opportunity, and sprang forward. “Haaaayyyyaaaah!” She yelled, whipping her body in an arc. Ayshe's leg shot out, and the heel of her party shoe slammed into the weapon, sending it into our kidnapper's face. Giovanni yelped and staggered backwards, cutting himself on the side of his desk. This was followed up by Bonnie, who ran forward and kicked Giovanni in his “Male Parts”.

Giovanni had blacked out, but before he did, his finger limply connected with a small red button. One minuscule flame shot from the desk drawer and sailed through to the next room, and landed on top of the stairs. For a few seconds, nothing happened. But then, the stairs ignited, furious flames jumping into the small area, setting the walls alight. “That's what those guards were doing!” Sheldon exclaimed, leaping over the desk. “They were oiling up the stairs!”

Holly and Ayshe examined Ethan, and were relieved to find that he was wearing a bullet-proof vest that had been only partially ripped. “Thank god...” I gasped. Meanwhile, Sheldon was untying the scientists.

“Thanks.” Madoka rasped. I felt a tap on my shoulder, and looked up to see Riolu. He was holding my Mum's PokeBall and the Golden Cloth. I stroked him on the head and placed the items in my pocket. “Right, let's get out of here!” Holly yelled over the roaring flames.

“Hang on, you do want your Pokemon, don't you?” Aleksei interrupted. Holly blushed as the scientist wrenched open the nearest drawer. Two seconds later, Aleksei flung out belts of PokeBalls, glad to be of service. “Now we need to get out!” Sheldon shouted, once again leaping over the desk.

“But that fire, its too strong!” I pointed out.

“We need Water Pokemon!” Bonnie said.

“Do we have any?” I asked. Everybody looked at the floor in misery. It seemed that my Prinplup was our only fire extinguisher. “Prinplup, help us!” I called, bringing her out of her PokeBall.

Five minutes later, we were still getting nowhere. Every time Prinplup put the flames out, they reignited almost instantly! “Our only way out is down those stairs!” Sheldon barked.

“Wait, down?” Ayshe asked. “If we want to get out, shouldn't we go up?”

“But there is no way u-” Sheldon began.

“There! An air vent!” Jake pointed. He was right, a barred of section of the ceiling loomed above us. But it was too small, we wouldn't be able to fit through.

“Hang on, I'll send a distress signal!” Ayshe said, pushing a button on her watch labelled “WATER”. “Surely somebody has seen the fire?” Bonnie asked.

“No, we're underground.” Sheldon explained. “At least, I think we are.” By now the fire had surged into the waiting room, and we were confined to Giovanni's office.

“There's nothing for it,” Ayshe yelled. “We have to wait until my friend arrives!”

“You sure have a lot of friends.” Jake stated.

The flames had engulfed half of the office, and by now we were really terrified. We'd tried everything, but nothing could extinguish the beast. Cowering behind Giovanni's desk, I noticed Ethan began to stir. His eyes flashed open as he caught a whiff of the smoke. “W-what...?” he stammered.