Chapter 20 - Muscle Over Matter

“A plan?” Holly asked. I nodded and brought a PokeBall into my hand.

“I’ll rely on our only flying type move.”

Ethan grinned and stepped forward, Darkrai looming at his shoulder. “Good strategy. If you’ll excuse me, I’m going to see what’s taking Marcus so long.” He said, vanishing round the corner.

We decided to await Marcus’ return inside the Gym, so I took my place on the battlefield whilst Holly and the others took some seats around the outside. “He’s at a huge disadvantage, you know.” Bonnie said to Jake, shaking her head. Jake yawned and proceeded to only slightly pay attention. “How do you mean...?”

Another shake of her head, and my sister slapped Jake round the face. “Toby’s only got three... Only four Pokemon, whilst Marcus most likely has six, not to mention the muscle.” She stated. By now, the conversation was unsettling my nerves, but they were lightened when I saw Riolu wave at me. “He says you’ll do fine!” Holly translated. Not a moment later, Ethan, Marcus and a very mucky Etienne walked through the door.

“Your sister... she can... pack a punch...!” Etienne spluttered, Ethan walking him to the stands.

Once everyone was settled, Marcus roared like a Raikou. “All right! Time to get things started!”

He was the one with the first move, so Marcus threw a PokeBall forward. “Come out, Primeape!” The leader called. A huge ball of fur with a furious expression and powerful fists appeared, bending its knees, ready to pounce. “Hmm... Ok, Go Cyndi!” I said, sending my mouse onto the field. “Use Dig!” I immediately followed. Cyndaquil dug her tiny claws into the ground, excavating the mud and soil. “Primeape, jump down that hole and use Strength!” Marcus retaliated, pushing the battle into full motion.

As Primeape leapt into the hole, Cyndi shot out of the ground, missing the target by seconds. “Cyndi, the hole! Use Flame Wheel and dive back in!” I yelled, and before she even touched the ground, Cyndi turned bright orange and flew back to her hole. Unluckily for Marcus, Cyndi was much faster than Primeape, completely catching it by surprise as it tried to exit the tunnel. “PRI-” It screeched before Cyndi’s flaming body slammed into its abdomen. Both Pokemon shot out of the ground, mine landing elegantly, Marcus’ landing on its head, out cold. “Great job Cyndi!” I congratulated as my Pokemon flew into my arms.

“Ok, I’m not going to go so easy on you anymore!” Marcus growled.

“Hitmontop, spin us out of this situation!” Marcus said, throwing his second PokeBall. “Use Rolling Kick!” He ordered, the second the small Pokemon appeared. Hitmontop used a small spike on its head to spin like a spinning top, its deadly feet lashing out with each rotation. “Cyndi, tackle it head on with Flame Wheel!” I said, letting her down onto the ground. And now, both Pokemon were spinning recklessly towards each other, all dependent on their individual power. But apparently, Marcus had other plans. Just as the two were about to collide, Marcus made a deadly move. “Now swerve and use Rock Smash!” He bellowed.

“What!?” I exclaimed. “Cyndi, stop!”

But it was too late. Hitmontop slammed its fist into the ground, allowing it to swing round behind Cyndi. Still spinning, Marcus' Pokemon focused all its power into its leg, slamming its foot into Cyndi’s back, sending her flying. Cyndi’s own momentum, as well as Hitmontop’s power, crashed her into a wall, loosening many bricks.

“Hohohoho!” Marcus chortled, smiling at his Pokemon. Before I could cry out for Cyndi, a bright light shone from inside the debris. “Cyndi!?” I stammered as a huge ball of fire erupted from the pile of rubbish. “What the!?” Marcus exclaimed as the ball of fire morphed into an X shape, slamming into Hitmontop. “Comeback and a half!” Jake shouted from the stands.

“No, Hitmontop!” Marcus moaned, seeing his Pokemon faint before his eyes. “Ok, now I’m serious!” He roared, calling out his third Pokemon. “Lucario, put out that fire!”

Cyndi was tired, I could see from miles away. She could barely stand. “Cyndi, just one more, you can do it!” I yelled. My Pokemon took small steps forward, wincing and moaning until she was back in her starting position. “Quuuiiiil...” She muttered. Hopefully Cyndi’s new move, Fire Blast, would allow us at least one more win.

“Lucario, Close Combat!” Marcus roared.

“Cyndi, quick! Use Fire Blast!” I shouted.

Lucario was so much faster, allowing no shots to be taken. It punched Cyndi hard, sending her skidding over to my feet, flames spiralling through the air. Lucario stood amongst the cinders, smirking. “Cyndi!...” I sobbed. “Right, we can't lose! You did a good job Cyndi, now it’s time for Grovyle!” I yelled, throwing my second PokeBall into the battlefield.

“That’s one third of Toby’s Pokemon down!” Bonnie exclaimed. Jake cradled his head in disbelief.

“What was he thinking? He should’ve withdrawn Cyndi!”

Ethan came to my defence, stating my reasons. “It’s not as if Cyndi was in any condition to fight anyway. Maybe he has a bigger plan.”

Holly joined the defensive confrontation now. “There’s obviously a reason for leaving Cyndi out there. But what?...”

It was then that a small orange flash came from Lucario’s arm that only Etienne and I noticed. “Lucario’s burnt!” He yelped with glee.