Chapter 14 - Grass Blades

Gavin tossed his two PokeBalls high into the air. This was it. Whatever came out of those PokeBalls would be our final opponents. The Gym Leader opened his mouth and roared.

“Go, Sceptile and Shaymin!”

The two Pokemon landed elegantly onto the floor, one large and intimidating, the other a small, Legendary bush. This particular bush Pokemon smelt something in the air and walked straight towards the corner of the room, bringing a smile to Gavin's face.

Holly and I were stunned. A real Legendary, owned by a Gym Leader!? Holly was the first to recover from awe, ordering Roxy to attack. “Roxy, use Flame Charge on Sceptile!” She called. Houndoom completely immersed herselfself in flame before galloping straight for Sceptile. “Piplup, chase Shaymin and use Drill Peck on it!” I called, once again feeling part of the fight.

“Sceptile!” Was all Gavin called. His Pokemon already seemed to know what he had in mind, and it began to concentrate hard. “Shaymin, pick up the pace!” Gavin urged, the little Pokemon's feet moving faster and faster to the edge of the room.

Piplup was flying through the air now, gaining momentum with each rotation. Roxy was mere seconds from smashing into Sceptile, when it slyly shuffled backwards, dodging the blow. As Roxy blurred past the Grass Gecko, it brought its fist around, landing a  Critical Hit on Holly's Pokemon. “Roxy!” Holly exclaimed as her Pokemon slammed into one of the many nearby trees.

Meanwhile, Shaymin had reached the corner of the room, and Piplup was still flying fast. Gavin's Pokemon began to sniff one particular pink flower, and began to glow. Shaymin now looked like some kind of deer-like creature. Of course! A Gracidea Flower! Gavin had thought of everything! The new Sky Forme Shaymin bent its legs and leapt into the air, gracefully flying in the open space. Piplup, meanwhile, kept going, slamming into the wall where Shaymin had just been standing.

When the dust settled for what must have been the hundredth time this battle, three Pokemon were still standing. Gavin's Sceptile and Shaymin, and my Piplup. Roxy, on the other hand, hit the ground with a thump. “Nice work Roxy! Return.” Holly sighed. That made us one Pokemon up, but Gavin had the upper hand.

“Riolu, you're up!” Holly said to her partner, who was waiting patiently by her side. Riolu looked up and smirked before striding onto the field.

“Shaymin, use Seed Flare on Piplup!” Gavin called.

“Dodge it!” I blurted, but Piplup wasn't together yet. She was still cradling her head where she had hit the wall.

“Riolu, use Aura Sphere on Shaymin!” Holly yelled, whilst Gavin countered with his own move.

“Sceptile, Leaf Blade on Riolu!”

Everything seemed to happen in a chain. Shaymin's Seed Flare smashed into Piplup, Riolu's Aura Sphere knocked Shaymin from the sky, and finally, Sceptile slashed Riolu to the ground.

Needless to say, Piplup fainted, whilst Riolu and Shaymin lifted themselves from the dirt. “Gah, return Piplup! You did a good job.” I muttered as Piplup slinked into her PokeBall. "My last Pokemon... I'd better make this count!"

“Go, Grovyle!” I called, throwing his PokeBall into the air.

My Gecko Pokemon erupted onto the stage in a white light, standing tallest except for Sceptile. “Grovyle, use Head butt on Shaymin!” I ordered. Holly and Gavin quickly followed with:

“Shaymin, Solar Beam on Riolu! Sceptile, stop Grovyle with Leaf Blade!”

“Riolu, use Bone Rush on Shaymin!”

All four Pokemon acted quickly, but Grovyle was the fastest. He leapt forward, narrowly sidestepping Sceptile's Leaf Blade as it aimed for Riolu (in reality, the blade scraped Grovyle's chest) and slamming his head into Shaymin's abdomen, sending it flying. Meanwhile, Riolu summoned swords of Bone, leaping over Sceptile on the way to his target.

Sceptile was stunned to have missed two targets, and struggled to keep its footing. Shaymin was also in a tight spot, having been winded by Grovyle, it was unable to unleash Solar Beam. Bonnie and Jake, who had been relevantly quiet until now, erupted with excitement when Holly and I made our next move.

Grovyle still had momentum, so with one swift movement, he flipped his body, landing sideways on a tree. He instantly exploded from his crouching position, aiming another Head Butt at Gavin's Sceptile. When Grovyle shot beneath the falling Shaymin, Riolu leapt onto his back, gaining extra height on his way to attack.

“Yeah! Finish it!” Jake hollered.

“You can do it!” Bonnie encouraged.

Riolu jumped from Grovyle onto Shaymin, who was still falling. Just as it entered Riolu's eyesight,

he heaved his Bone backwards, very much like a Baseball bat. With a Critical Hit, Riolu hit Shaymin with the bat's “Sweet Spot” and sent it shooting towards Grovyle.

Like a pro Fielder, Grovyle caught Shaymin, only to jam it onto his head seconds later. And with that, Grovyle slammed Shaymin into Sceptile's chest, sending all three of them into the wall. A loud bang followed, and the field was yet again shrouded by cloud. Riolu closed his eyes, hoping to sense Grovyle's aura through the smoke.

Like a bullet from a gun, Both Grass Gecko Pokemon shot out from the debris, each one landing blow after blow on the other. Shaymin was unconscious by a tree stump, but Gavin couldn't return the Pokemon because he was mesmerized by Sceptile's combat. I could tell what he was thinking.

“One Pokemon left.”

“Grovyle, come out of it! Sceptile's stronger!” I called, but Grovyle intended to fight, to show how determined he was.

“Riolu, help Grovyle!” Holly ordered. “Hit Sceptile with Bone Rush!” Riolu immediately leapt to Sceptile, but to no avail. As he brought the Bone down, Riolu was smashed by a stray Leaf Blade, sending him skidding across the ground. Down, but not out.

Grovyle erupted with enormous amounts of power, a harsh green light surrounding him. “Overgrow!” I stammered. Grovyle instantly grabbed Sceptile's arm and smashed it to the ground, hammering it with Leaf Blade again and again.

The light faded and all was calm. Grovyle was barely on his feet, Riolu was arched over on his knees, and Gavin's Pokemon had bitten the dust. Holly, Jake, Bonnie and I roared with excitement. We had done it!

Later, after our Pokemon were healed, Gavin presented us with two special badges. “For your victory here today” He began “I present you these Seed Badges!” We thanked Gavin for the Badges and for a truly amazing battle. He seemed almost sad as we walked out of the Gym door.

“We'll be back! You can count on it!” I called to him on the way out.

Jake and Bonnie were happy for us, congratulating us as soon as we were out in the open. “Great job guys!” Bonnie hollered. Jake preferred the way without words, simply high fiving me. I was just about to respond when something caught my eye. There, out in the distance, was a huge black cloud, growing bigger with each passing moment.

We could not run, because by the time we thought of it, the cloud was already upon us. Flashes of white and yellow light streaked through the sky, crackling loud like big bongo drums. “Entertainment's arrived.” Jake said, pointing out to a rock in the distance. I followed his path of sight, and I saw three silhouettes, one small, one large, and one human shaped. “Gah haha!” The figured called. I immediately recognised the voice. “It is I! James, here to shock you back to Pallet Town! Gah hahaha!” He laughed menacingly.

“I'd like to see you try!” I retaliated, which was possibly the worst thing I could have done. James pointed at me and shouted,

“You dare mock me? When I am teamed with the Heart-Breaker, you will eat your words!”

He then ordered the larger beast beside him to attack. “Electrify them!” James called.

At that moment, the beast leapt forward, and thousands of small Electric Pokemon surged in from every side.