The Thief and the Bird

"Who's Gambit?" I asked Ororo who was leading me to this person's room.

"He's an X-man, like me, Logan, Scott, Kitty, Kurt, Bobby, Beast, Evan. There are recruits as well but I cannot say every single name in the time being." she said with a smile. "And Child, you can call me Storm."

"Storm, I would ask why but I might have a guess." I chuckled to myself. Guess everyone had a nickname.

"Right. . . Here we are. Good luck." Storm scudded away as A door stood in front of me. I winced, I didn't even know the guy! I knocked twice then heard something explode inside.

"Are you alright?!" I asked frantically. I put my ear to the door to try to hear things but only got an opened door. A man with red hair and, red and black eyes looked at me. His chin was scruffy from shaving and I backed once because he was slightly intimidating.

"Who are 'chu?" he asked with serious eyes. Unless they always looked like that.

"I-I'm Dakota. . . You must be Gambit." I held out an awkward hand. He shook it like a good sport then leaned on the door-frame.

"New?" he asked. I simply nodded then stepped back forward to peer into his room. But he moved to the side I was trying to peer through, he knew my plan. "Here's some advice. . . Leave." he swept his hand out and showed me a card in his hands. I knew what he was going to do before he did it then snatched the card from him. He took a moment to realize what I had done but he was to late. I set the card on fire then scuffed the ashes off my hand.

"I do not need an explosions to get a point." I explained. He looked at his fingers again still in the shade as if he was still holding the card, then he looked at me and lowered his hand.

"Chu a mutant 'den?" he asked. He had a very odd Louisiana accent that sent shivers down my spine. So many mistakes.

"Yes I am." I replied. "Now I'd ask you to come out of your room instead of staying inside your room all the day!" I raised my voice a little more. He smirked then rubbed his chin with his thumb, a sign of amusement.

"No need. . . I'll come out. . . If." oh no. . . If's were always bad in a hostage situation. "I get one question from chu." well that's surprising.

"Sure, fine. What's the question?" I sighed and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Do chu 'ave a boyfriend?" he asked with a smile. I rolled my eyes. Really?

"No I don't. Now clean your-self up. And your room I don't want any explosion marks!" I smiled at the though of that I was winning and doing this correctly. First time in my life my actions were doing right. But as I went to turn I was missing something. . . My wallet.

"HEY!" I turned and stuck my foot in the door before he had time to close it "I want my wallet back!" I shouted.

He opened the door again and smirked, handed me the wallet, then began to speak. "I'm a t'ief, don't chu know?" I almost growled in response.

"No, I didn't. Nice thing to know now." I rolled my eyes then left the corridor back to the main entry way. Running and flying teens all filled this room, one even looked like a dog. So many faces, so many kids, they all had a mutant gene that made them so odd to the rest of the world. And here I am looking as human as ever, but when I want my powers to come they do so. Only at my command, some of these kids probably couldn't even control their new found hurt and powers, poor things.

"Enjoying the view?" asked a smooth woman's voice. She walked over to me with a smile, a toxic smile at that.

"Might I ask who you are?" I said, already annoyed by her presents.

"I am Emma Frost, an advice here. I was told to show you to your room." Emma said with a small smile of dominance. I scowled at her expression.

"I'm sure I can find my own way." I stated. But when I did so my brain throbbed with a jolt. What was happening? I soon remembered what Jean had said, about walls in your brain, mine was slowly breaking down. "Stop that!" I ordered pushing her out of my subconscious. She grunted then took a few steps back while holding her head.

"You little!" she began but Beast (Hank) came right by us and smiled.

"Ladies no need to fight in a house where everyone else is quarreling." he said bowing to me. "I understand you are staying?"

I nodded, "Yep. I don't want to be a burden but I do need extra credit." I held up a finger and Beast laughed.

"My dear girl, you have an odd sort of thought process. But to the real matter of my appearance, I'll be your Science teacher." he smiled once again, he had such common curtsy for things like me; outcasts, failers, the odd ones out, ect.

"Sound like fun!" I said with a smile. Beast bowed again then walked away. I saw Emma huff off because she was interrupted by a polite conversation. I doubt she's ever talked so polite in her entire life. She was a none-the-doubt-Skank.

The sun set slowly over the horizon and I sat in trees just behind the Xavier House. It was so peaceful outside when I could get peace. I've never seen such a hectic place in my lifetime. I felt so bad for 'Charles.' The branch of the tree dug into my back and I sighed. I was going to stay here till I could go off on my own. I would still attend school, get my grades up, learn to control my powers, learn how to defend myself, and then be happy for once. I havn't been happy since mother died. I was just born when they found me. I was buried in ash and had red eyes, that's were that horrid nickname started. I was so small, and it started so early. I've had these horrid powers since I was that little.

I use to burn the bullies, scream at the Sisters, and hide away in the balcony. The wings have never been part of those powers, what was happening?

"Are you alright?" Storm stood below the tree in a new form of dress. It was more of a battle dress then anything.

"Fine, why do you ask?" I said with a mundane smile.

"You haven't been inside since you had gotten Gambit out of his room." She smiled politely. "It's time for supper. Please come inside."

"I'm not that hungry." I looked at where the scars on my hand were. Why was I so afraid to show Logan my scars?

"Come on now. You have to be hungry." Storm smirked and placed her hands on her hips. I looked down at her. She was kind and loving like any mother should be. She acts like a mother, maybe I should show her my power instead of hardly telling anyone. I jumped down and did a small summer-salt then landed right in front of her.

"How did Logan get his claws?" I asked. Storm's face instantly saddened and she looked away from me.

"It's a long story. I suggest you ask him yourself." Storm began to walk away, not facing me again. "Now come inside to eat." she ordered. I sighed. I was never going to find out without raising suspicion. . . I did as I was told and began to walk inside. But for some reason, all I could think about it Gambit's face when he first saw me. So calm and peaceful. Not the thief I thought he was, I about laughed out loud. He talked like a grammar-less pig, but it was just his accent. The sun was setting in the horizon and I smiled at it.

I might like it here.