10 Reasons To See Mmfd

10 reasons why you should watch My Mad Fat Diary

Channel 4’s hit show My Mad Fat Diary is returning to televisions in June with its third and final series – and if you’ve never watched it before, here are ten reasons that might change your mind.

10. Rae Earl

Rae is the main character in the show – she’s mad, she’s fat, and she’s just trying to figure things out. While she’s a sympathetic character, she’s also grumpy, short-tempered and flawed, and you can’t help but fall in love with the way she’s attempting to find her way back into the real world.

9. All the babes

They might all be 16 years old, but there’s no denying that MMFD is CHOCK FULL OF HOTTIES. From rock god Archie all the way through to floppy haired Finn, there’s a squinty eyed teen for every taste. And Rae wants every single one of them.

8. Chloe

Rae’s best friend, and proud owner of a pair of gravity-defying breasts, all Chloe wants, above anything else, is to be popular. But she’s also Rae’s oldest friend and therefore her greatest ally and while you might hate her sometimes, you’ll also adore her. Everyone knows a Chloe.

7. The music

Set in the mid-90’s, the soundtrack is all Lemonheads, The Chemical Brothers, No Doubt and Pulp and it’s going to take you STRAIGHT BACK to your angsty childhood, quicker than if your jukebox was a real life time machine.Which brings us to…

6. The nostalgia

Not all of us grew up in Lincolnshire, like Rae is trying to do, but everyone will recognise the drab storefronts, the sweet wrappers, the dingy pubs and the footpaths. You might not actually want to go back to the years when you wore too-big t-shirts and sang along to your Walkman, but there’s nothing wrong with revisiting it briefly, sweetly – and then coming back to the world of on-demand telly and food delivered to your door.

5. The honesty

When you think of all the glossy teen shows that exist out there – The OC, Gossip Girl – it’s a wonder that a show like this was ever made, but thank god it was. Rae – obese, lonely, sick – is as far away from Serena Van Der Woodsen as it’s possible tobe, reminding us that NO TEENAGERS IN THE ACTUAL WHOLE WORLD HAVE HAIRLIKE THAT.

4. The crudeness

This show is… not for the faint-hearted.

3. The quotes

The script-writing on this is as tight and original as we’ve come to expect from otherChannel 4 works of genius (it especially calls to mind Fresh Meat). Without spoiling anything, here’s one of the saucier quotes, just to keep you guessing…“I’d shag him until there was nothing left. Just a pair of glasses and a damp patch.”

2. The inspiration

For a show that focuses on a life with a lot of bad things going on, there are an awfullot of moments that make you nod you head vigorously in total, shameless agreement.“When I look around, I see that everyone’s the protagonist of their own story. And the thing about stories is that not all of them have a happy ending. But some do.”

1. The sex

Yeah, there is an awful lot of very vivid shag-fantasies. Don’t watch with your mum, alright?