Chapter 5

Three more months passed and still no word from Julian. I made sure to stay close to my phone, I even stayed up some nights listening for his call. I was becoming sick of waiting on him, so I decided to place my focus in over things. I started to look at colleges.

I sat at the computer with Tahoe looking at colleges and course schedules. High school was finally over and I felt like I was free. I never really had a dream of becoming anything special. I only wanted to make my parents proud and do something with the life I was given.

While sitting at the computer my phone began to ring, it was an unknown caller again. I quickly got up from the computer desk and hurried outside. I answered quickly and hoped to hear Julian on the other line, but this time it was a woman.

"Is this Halo?" She said.

I quickly answered with an attitude. I assumed it was a telemarketer and I was about to hang up.

"Are you alone right now? " She said.

"Yes" I said, while looking over my shoulder.

"Julian is ready to see you tonight, but it's going to be very brief. He will call out to you and tell you where to meet him. Make sure you don't leave home tonight. He is in town again and doesn't want anyone to know. Make sure no one follows you, and don't tell anyone that you're leaving." She said.

I was so excited and scared at the same time. She added one more thing before she hung up on me, "Come on foot". Before I could ask any questions, she hung up and I was left with my thoughts.

Sitting on the edge of my canopy bed looking at my digital clock, without one blink I could only wonder. I flung myself back into my pillows and noticed that my mother put the wrong pillowcase on again. I even counted the little white lint balls on the pillowcase, as I pulled them off. I suddenly sat back up to find that it was still 2:30am, "what gives man?" I said to myself. I couldn't control the sudden urge that had pledged me all night, I needed sleep. My eye lids became very heavy and soon there was nothing but darkness, then it started.

I could hear him calling my name in the night, finally it was time. The call made its way up my staircase, under my door, and into my bed. The dark voice crawled into my mind and demanded I come to find it. In my pink and blue night gown, I escaped my room for him. I managed to make it past Galvin and Lisa. They were both cuddled up on the living room couch, with their heads back and mouths open. The television was on an infomercial, so I knew that they had been asleep for a while. The floor sounded louder than ever before, squeaking with every step I took.

I could also see Ms. Joanna auguring with her daughter through our kitchen window. Her perfect daughter Tina must have stayed out all night again. This meant she wouldn't be watching me leave like always. I put on my seashell sandals and slipped out of the sliding glass door. I hit my foot on the pool floats and knocked off some of the shells on my right sandal. I watched as my mother's room light came on, and my heart was skipping beats. She could see in the dark with her abilities but was too afraid to be noticed so she always played it safe. I still had time before she spotted me. I hide in the pool house trying hard not to breathe because she would hear me and come looking. I peeked out of the pool house window at my mom; she was looking all around the yard for the culprit. I couldn't hold my breath any longer and I let out a little air. My mother's head snatched over to the pool house; her body was like stone. Her eyes were completely blacked over, ready to attack.

"Caroline what are you doing? Come back to bed." Said my father.

My father had unknowingly saved my life, I was so relieved. The light went off and I was back on my mission. His voice was still calling out to me, making it hard to focus. As I reached the end of the driveway, I could feel fear settling in my heart. I could see the woods up ahead of me. With one deep breath I slowly placed one foot in front of the other.