Chapter 6 & Author Note

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been as fan interactive as some other accounts, so I'll start doing just that :) First, I really hope you love this story. Like I already said before, it's difficult to understand if you haven't read the original Hunger Games. So read that first haha :D!!!

***Anyways, can you vote and comment please???? It's important for you to do that, because it lets me know if what I am writing is good. Thanks for reading, may the odds be ever in your favor!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

That night, I couldn't sleep. The quiet whir of the train kept me up, even though I hadn't noticed it before. That night, I had worked with Hecatia more about herbs and how to get water. She taught me that since I would be put into a city, just look for so-called 'restaraunts' or 'cinemas', because they had the most resources.

I was also desperate to see the brackets. If I was put into a bracket with Silius, I probably wouldn't be able to bare it. I knew, if it came down to it, I wouldn't be able to murder my own brother. That was cruel. 

But the thing that bothered me was that he would kill me without hesitation. He had always been quick-reacting and cunning. I had always just hid in the shadows, and now was my time to give myself a name; a personality. 

Halfway through the night, I got out of my fluffy bed and went into the main coach. Inside, surprisingly was Hecatia. She was staring out into the distance of the windows, looking solemn. 

"Hecatia, what are you doing up this late?" I broke the silence. She turned to me quickly, with a nervous gleam in her eyes. 

"Just looking at the scenery. Did you know we're approaching Dolomatia? It specializes in..."

"Leather. Yes, I know. But I need to talk." I interupted. She looked at me like I was a child. 

"What about?" She patted the comfy couch next to her, and I sat down. 

"Killing someone. I mean, I can't do it." I said. "Everybody deserves to live." 

She shook her head. "That's a lie." 

I snapped my neck to look at her. "What do you mean, Hecatia?" 

"Some people just don't deserve to live. I read, back in the old day, they believed in equality and justice. Today, all we do is convict whoever we don't like, and poof, they're dead." Hecatia riddled me. 

"I've never made someone poof away?" I burst. She shook her head. 

"...I didn't mean you. Or anybody in Judaea. I'm talking about the Senate. You wouldn't understand, you're Judaean..." She whispered. I opened my eyes wide. 

"You are too!" I yelled. She looked surprised. 

"Yes, but it's different. I am more wealthy. I've been to Senatia, and seen the horrors. The city is different than Judaea. It's huge there!" She said. I laughed. 

"Judaea is big too." I pointed out, and she just looked annoyed. 

"I mean, Senatia is monstrous. It has statues, fountains, gardens, temples, everything. And Judaea has textile factories and the desert." She said angrily. I didn't know what she was getting at, so I decided to ask an irrevelant question. 

"Why is Judaea even in a desert? Why can't it be in a grassland, or even in the mountains?" 

She shrugged. "I guess to keep you controlled. It's easier to keep control when there's nowhere to go without dying." 

I understood that the Senate wanted control of all of its citizens. My father had always said that there were riots in Judaea when he was a child, but all of the protesters were forced to go to Athiopa to work in the gold mines. They were never head of again. 

Hecatia just sat silently. I looked out the windows as well. Huge mountains with snowy white caps were laying out in front of me, like the Earth's teeth. Occasionally, I would see the old ruins of ancient houses and farms. 

Finally, we were approaching the Dolomatian District, and the windows shut, leaving us in the dark. I closed my eyes slightly, and knew I couldn't resist falling asleep. Within five minutes, I was sleeping. 

***

I woke up to the bright morning sun shining in my eyes. Oddius was in the kitchen, as usually. He was slicing tomatoes for a morning bruchetta. 

"Why the extravagent foods?" I called to him. He stared at me, with his blue tinted skin and decorated face. 

"I'm making it for my two favorite tributes, even though one of them is still in his room, refusing to talk to Hecatia or me." He hinted. I snorted. 

"Silius is always pouting. Nothing new." I said the words like they were daggers. Why was I turning against my brother?

Hecatia came in the room, next to a train conducter. She was explaining to him that Silius wouldn't come out of his room, and she was concerned for his safety. 

"Of course, ma'am. I'll unlock the doors immediatly. Don't want the Senate to find one our tributes had committed suicide before the Games even began." The conducter agreed. In the Second Hunger Games, three of the tributes had killed themselves before the Games, so now the Senate was taking precautions to prevent that. 

The conducter left the room, and I heard the airy noise of Silius's door being opened. Hecatia walked over to the hallway to his room, but he had just walked out of the room. He shoved past her, and gave me a dirty sneer. 

"Silius, dear boy, I am glad you're up! Do you want tomatoes or.."

"Oddius, shut up. I need today to myself. I'm rewatching all of the old Hunger Games tapes to see their strategies, because that seems like the only place where I can see true talent." He looked at Hecatia, and she turned red. 

"Silius, I don't appreciate you talking..." A loud red siren blared and the windows and doors locked. Hecatia gasped, but Oddius laughed. 

"Oh yay, we're approaching Senatia, the Land of Politics. See true class, children. I'll fit in wonderfully!" Oddius said, enchantingly. He seemed so confident, so true to himself. We walked over to exit the train, with Silius in front, Hecatia in front of me, and Oddius behind me. 

I was about to see the surprise of my life.