Chapter 5

Hecatia sat across from me in the dining room. She held a small red journal full of colorful pictures of plants in front of me.

"Do you know what this is?" She asked. A white berry was printed on the page. I shook my head. "It's a snowberry. It is fine to eat, but never to cook. Once you heat it up, it's poisonous." 

She flipped the page, and another plant was on the page. It was a ruby red flower, with triangle petals and a yellow center.  

"What's that?" I asked Hecatia, and she put her finger on the name. Velvet Rose.

She cleared her throat. "This," she started, "this flower is extremely poisonous to touch, and even to smell. In the old times, women would put them in their hair and die from the toxin in them. Never touch these if you find them growing." 

I nodded. These agricultural lessons would hopefully pay off in the arena. I could use the harmless plants to eat, and use the toxic plants to my advantage. I had to think like a predator, not prey. Hecatia closed the journal, and stood up. 

"Lesson is over. Time for dinner, but you did a great job today." She opened the door to the main coach, and I followed her. Oddius stood talking to the oremus, and Silius sat alone reading, near a window. Outside there were rolling plains with forests in the distance.

Oddius spoke up. "We are officially in Graecia, the district of fishing and trading! We should pass through the city directly, so the windows will close up. We need to save your faces for a surprise in Senatia!" 

Graecia was one of the larger districts, even though it was still far away from Senatia. Judaea was one of the farthest districts away from Senatia, but we weren't as poor as the districs like Aegyptus or Athiopa. 

"What are we going to do when we arrive in Senatia?" Silius said in a low tone. 

Oddius put his hand under his chin. "The schedule said that the first day is the Chariot Appearance. The second day is where you introduce yourself on national television, while the third and fourth days are training days. The fifth day is final training, and sixth day is when you get divided into brackets based on skill." He paused. "The last day is when you get sent into the arena."

Silius snorted. "I remember watching the interviews last year. My favorite was that girl from Hibernia who started to cry onstage . What was her name Lucy?" He turned to me. I thought of the girl, and compared her interview to me vomiting on the Reaping Day. 

"I don't remember, but I remember the Chariot Appearance. That girl from Graecia had the most beautiful dress on. She looked like a real-life mermaid!" I said. The Chariot Appearance is when the designers would dress you up to represent what your district produced. I would probably have a regular cloth dress made from Judaean textiles.

Silius turned at me. "You seem to be in a perky mood. What did you and Hecatia learn about?" 

I knew he was paranoid, and he would be for the rest of the trip to Senatia. Hecatia didn't seem suspicious to me, but I had to look out for her. 

"We just went over some simple plants. Do you want to learn with us tomorrow?" Hecatia answered for me. Silius nodded. 

"No. I'm learning fighting tactics. We're fighting in abandoned cities, not gardens. Why learn how to tell the difference between an oak tree and a maple tree when you can learn how to shoot a crossbow?" He said with a temper. He was definitally holding a grudge against me. 

Hecatia stood up for us. "Yes, but learning the difference between a poisonous berry and a raspberry when you're starving can make a huge difference, if you ask me." 

Silius folded his arms. "Well at least I'm strong. Lucerna has to defend on charisma and talking her way out of situations to survive." 

It felt like a slap to my face. At home, Silius would never had said something like that to me. Did he not understand that we are probably going to die in a week? Hecatia was going to say something, but I beat her to the point. 

"Yes, but at least I'm not a narcisstic little turd! I know how to talk to somebody without them wanting to murder me, unlike you!" I retorted, and Silius just laughed. 

"Doesn't matter. Brawn over brains." 

Oddius stood to the side, smiling like this was a theatre. I felt the blood in my face come to a boil, and I lost my temper. 

"I would rather be a weakling than an idiot. You'll probably starve to death, and when I survive the Games, I'll look at your dead body and laugh!" I cruelly shouted. 

Oddius bursted out laughing, and Hecatia covered her mouth. My comeback wasn't very revelant, but it was insulting enough. It did the job. 

"Fine, but you better pray that we aren't in the same bracket. It doesn't matter if you're my sister anymore, Lucerna." He spat, and stood up and walked out of the room. Hecatia stared at me. 

"Was I harsh?" I asked quietly, and Oddius shook his head. 

"Darling, you were perfect! You are gold!" He chuckled, but Hecatia begged to differ. 

"What you said wasn't helpful, but there really is something up with Silius. He won't train with us, and he's very aggressive." Hecatia pointed out. I nodded. 

"He's just paranoid. He'll calm down sooner or later." I said. 

I have never been more wrong in my life.