Chapter 1: Début

"Lucerna Fabula!" The announcer's voice strained. My ears clicked at my name, and my head snapped to attention. I was frozen in fear, as everyone turned to watch me make my way to the front of the crowd, and be dragged away from the reaping.

I looked for my mother or father, but all the faces smeared into a blur. I heard a wail from behind me, and saw one of my classmate's crying. I would've hushed her, but my mind was racing. Had the announcer really picked my name from the bowl?

My answer appeared when an oremus approached me, and grabbed my arm, guiding me to the front of the crowd. The oremus was a servant of the Senate, as all oremus' were. His grip was unbreakable, and I snapped my head around to try and find my parents again. 

This time I saw my big brother, Silius, staring at me in disbelief. I went to call out for him, but instead I was speechless. It's hard to yell for somebody when you're being dragged to your own funeral. 

The oremus pushed me up the steps to the top of the stage, and I was drenched in sweat, partially because the scorching Sun, partially because I had been called to partake in the Hunger Games. The announcer, Oddius Hyphus, stared at me with his wide blue eyes and pointed beard. 

"Come, come! Don't be shy now!" He coaxed, in a fake voice. Oddius was a fake person, so I shouldn't be surprised. He had blazing blue hair, popping blue eyes, and even his skin had a light blue spray tan. 

My stomach pounded, and I felt my nerves burning into my skin. One in five-hundred thousand. The chances of me being up here were one in five-hundred thousand. It shouldn't be me up here. I turned back to Oddius, and now he was clearly annoyed with my stalling. 

He finally reached over and pulled me over to him, and I smelled the thick smell of soap and blueberry on his suit. He was an oversized blueberry himself. He then gave the crowd a reassuring smile, and I began to search the crowd again. This time I found my mother, hiding her face from the crowd. 

I was going to blow a kiss to her, but Oddius interrupted me. "Boys' turn!" He awkwardly lifted his hand in the air, and I silently prayed for it to be someone I didn't know, because killing someone I actually knew would be impossible for me to do. 

He held the thin paper slip to his eyes, and when he read the name, he grinned. I expected it to be Kayer Thorton, my best friend from grade school, or Jeddah Sauro, the smily town courier, but it was someone worse. It was Silius Fabula, my brother. I would have to murder my brother to survive. 

I lost control of my stomach, and I burped up vomit all over the stage, and when I looked up, my brother was slowly walking to the podium, with his sandy blonde hair, and sharp features. My brother would be a difficult target for anybody. He was sixteen, strong, and swift. He would definatly be a contender against the other 96 tributes, but there was a slim chance he would actually win.

Oddius glared at me for throwing up over the stage, and I felt the cameras and crowd's eyes burn into me, but I didn't care. A dead person doesn't feel embarassement. 

Ever since Panem's demise, the Euro Empire had seen their worst tradition, the Hunger Games, as something to add along to our customs. Seven years ago, we continued the Hunger Games, but with a few tweaks.

First, instead of the wilderness, we fought in abandoned cities that were modified so the gamemakers could moniter and control our enviroment. Second, instead of 24 tributes, we had 96 tributes, since the Euro Empire's population was much higher than Panem's, so we would have more tributes.

Also, instead of one big game, we would have four smaller ones, with two winners each. Then those eight contestants would fight in the giant showdown, creating one gruesome, disturbed winner, who would never have their former life back.

My district, Judaea, was one of forty-eight other districts scattered around the Meditteranean. We specialized in making textiles and cloth, which was one of the better districts to live in. We sent most of our exports to Senatia, the district of politics. The Senate ruled there, creating the rules we live by today. 

I finally snapped out of my daze, and stared back into the crowd. I received stares of pity, sadness, and relief. I took in deep, long breaths, and finally began to cry. No! Don't cry here! The other tributes will see you as weak; as another loser. You need to be strong.

I shook my head, and I felt Oddius grab my arm, and turned to look at him. 

"Let's hear it for the brave new tributes from Judaea!" The crowd began to clap vigorously, and I spun around, only to upchuck once again. I felt Oddius's hand smack my back, but turned around to see Silius patting me reassuringly. 

"Save your tears, Lucy." He began. "This is only the beginning of it all."

______________________________________________________________

:D Thank you all for reading! Remember to vote and comment! The idea was purely based from the novel- "The Hunger Games", and if you haven't read it, this story will probably make no sense to you. Thank you all!