Chapter 15

Chapter15

I stared on with utter fascination.

With a flick of a finger, Janice shifted her expression and pose so dramatically. So little and yet so much. This was not the first time I had been reduced to awe and admiration over her modeling skills, but with Erin by her side... they were a vision.

I took a bite out of my beef burger—a strange enough find in downtown Paris—and tried to chew noiselessly. The late morning had rushed swiftly away, and now, it was well past noon with the clock striking the bewitching hour of tea time. But the photographer snapped on, and the models appeared as frisky and fresh as ever.

I felt a pang of pity for Erin, who was struggling on valiantly without any supplement. I took another bite, thinking he deserved his suffering. One would think he would have learnt from his mistakes. That his attempts at seduction went both ways, but still, Erin tried at every chance he got to cope a feel that only served to prolong the agony. His and my own.

Just thinking of Erin's fumbling hands made me bite harder with some relish, taking out my frustrations on the delicious burger. I glared straight at Erin, catching his eye, before I wolfed down the next bite. Erin's grin broke out, spreading widely across his face and disrupting the take. The photographer called out an explicit oath that ran on into several more complex versions.

I winced on Erin's behalf, who was completely unaffected by this display. The shot needed him to look sultry sexy, not happy sexy. A distinction perceived only by the most-trained eye in the profession. And by emojis.

But this was not the first time he got reprimanded. Every time his eyes strayed to mine, they seemed to light up with a quiet joy that was no doubt coming through across the camera lenses and onto film.

I tried my best to not draw his attention, but even when I did nothing—did not even look at him—I still felt his eyes rest on me from time to time. Likewise, mine kept defying my attempts to not look at him. But how could I resist? Especially when he looked so delicious. I sank my teeth into another bite, wishing it were something meatier, chunkier, and more than six foot taller. I licked my lips and tried not to moan.

This being in the throes of first love was seriously disruptive business. All I wanted was to butt in there and drag him off to bed, but here I sat, eating away like a cavernous beast.

Janice flicked her eyes my way, and I studiously made an effort to avoid it. This was not the first of the venomous looks that she'd managed. But only when the photographer was no longer snapping. I had yet to have my talk with her. I knew I needed to do it, but I couldn't bring myself to actually make the effort. This was one thing I had no problems procrastinating, indefinitely.

Or at least until I developed the guts needed to make it happen.

The photographer called out a belated lunch break then surreptitiously turned to throw me a glare. I was disruptive in more ways than one. It was not my fault the burger and chips smelled to die for, especially when it tasted even better. It wasn't as if I'd made it myself, after all. I hadn't even bought it. Nope, that was the fault of Erin's reliable staff—the gopher on the set, the photographer wanna be—Micky Lurgan.

I averted my eyes from catching his gaze too, for his knowing smirks were beyond pale. He knew of my pending marriage. And all I needed was for someone else to blurt it out to Janice before I had a chance to.

The crowd of assistance quickly dispersed, no doubt off to pursue sustenance of their own. I watched Janice slowly slide off her perch on my Erin's lap and slink off to nibble at her poor excuse of a meal. Erin, of course, came ravenously toward me. Only he wasn't eyeing up my burger on his approach, or my fries either.