Chapter 10

Chapter10

But this was a new day, no better than the day before but different. I was still hung over from the guilt of my actions. I was still replaying the events of yesterday and rehashing other options even though it was by now too late. Even as that thought took formation in my mind, the front doorbell rang. I got off my perch by the kitchen isle, and leaving my unfinished breakfast, I went to answer the door.

A familiar bouncer, massive in size, stood before me, and by his side was a lawyer. The black and white suit with the poker face was a dead giveaway. Ricky Lutton.

"Are you Ms. Claire Williams?"

"Yes."

"Owner of Claire's Consultancy?"

"Yes."

"I am Stephen Fry, Mr. Ricky Lutton's lawyer," said the man before me, holding out his hand.

I ignored it.

"I have some documents for you to sign. A copy has been sent last night to a Francis Bucannon of Andrews and Perkins. Francis contacted me this morning, saying that he had been appointed by you to handle this matter. He said he represented you and Erin. I took the liberty of confirming that for you. As you know, Mr. Ricky Lutton deemed this rather urgent, and as you were not responding to our phone calls—"

Just then, a car pulled to a screeching halt before my door, jerking our attention away to the newcomer. The door slammed, and the clicking heels on the pavement had my heart thudding in fear 'til its wearer cleared past Stephen's silhouette.

I sighed in relief, seeing that it was Erin's assistant. She marched past the bouncer and pushed past the lawyer. "Erin asked me to check on you. You were not answering your phone," she said pointedly.

I looked at Tracy, one of Erin's few assistants whom I actually liked. She was brusque to the point of rudeness and pushy beyond measures, but she was genuine. What you saw was what you got with her. Her slick silhouette only made her that much more interesting. I watched with hidden admiration that never failed to strike as I watched her do her thing and make Ricky's lawyer sweat for it.

"I am Tracy Stevens, and I represent Erin's harem of a modeling agency. We represent Claire Williams. Anything you have to say to her as to goes through me."

Seeing Tracy turn on Ricky's lackey made me smile.

"I am not here to—"

"Better yet, why don't you make an appointment like the regular people, and we'll see if we can fit you in," Tracy said boldly and moved to bodily crowd Stephen Fry out of the doorway. The bouncer he brought with him stepped up and stood his ground before Tracy. I saw the slightest smirk curve up the corner of his lips as the rustic blonde dropped a flirtatious wink at Tracy.

But it was too little too late, for Tracy had already herded them back the mere two paces needed. Now, she merely offered up the towering hulk a satisfied smirk as she slammed the door shut in his face.

The doorbell pealed a moment after, and persistent hammering followed.

"Care to tell me what that's about?" she asked, even as she made her way to my kitchen to rummage about my pantry, pulling out what looked to be the makings of a delicious sandwich. She slammed through cupboards and the fridge before settling to chop up some cooked meat and greens to toss into her sandwich.

She took a big bite that defied her petite frame and quirked a questioning brow at me.

I realized I had been rudely staring. I lifted a placating hand to indicate I would address her queries; then, I picked up the phone to call Francis, the lawyer Erin recommended. I couldn't turn to my usual lawyers since Janice was a client there as well, and I couldn't underestimate the reach of Janice's influence.