Chapter 2

Chapter2

"I cannot believe you are doing this!" screamed the last person I wanted to see right now.

I was sitting in the waiting room, waiting to be called in for my first photoshoot. I would be put through the mill—made over and then adorned in possibly skimpy clothing before I was told to pose in various back-breaking positions. Familiar as I was with the routine, I knew I was in for Hell, and I would have to grit my teeth and smile through it all.

Having escorted my sister for just this type of shoot countless times in the past gave me insight of what to expect. Never in all those sessions had I an inkling that I would one day be sitting in front of the camera myself. It was all a little overwhelming to contemplate. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought this was all some elaborate plan—a hoax, cooked up just to get a few laughs at my expense.

"I don't know what you mean," I replied blithely, hoping to convey ignorance.

"I know I'm blonde, but you know better than to think I'm stupid," Janice replied with her usual candor. That was the sad truth on both counts. She was blonde and brainy. I hated that about her too. How did the old adage come up on dumb blondes anyway? All the blondes I knew were anything but, myself included.

"You want to show me some tits, babe? Show me what you got. Shake it for me," came the distant sounds of a photoshoot in progress.

I stared at Janice, and she stared back at me; then, we both burst out laughing.

In all honesty, hearing that go on behind the closed doors had me more than a little disturbed. It was the main reason I was so tense. But I knew from experience, hearing such talk meant nothing. The photographers could and would say just about anything to get the desired look on their shots. My guess was he was aiming for horny, but that was just it. What if I couldn't do horny?

"You'll be fine," Janice reassured me, correctly reading my open-as-a-book expression. "But are you sure this is what you want?"

I wasn't sure.

I only knew I hated what I already did. Living off Janice was not the way I wanted to spend the rest of my life. I knew I had to do something, and as I had no skills of my own to boast of, this was the only way to go about it.

"You are really not upset?" I needed reassurance.

"That you slept with my fiancé, Colin?" Janice enquired mildly.

"Yes."

"Well, of course, I'm not. I told you, I was not really engaged. Colin is an ass. You know I would never even grant him a second look had we not looked so good together. But we did, and us being seen together is good for business. You did me a huge favor by sleeping with him. Now, I can safely break it off and come off as the winner, with public sympathy. I'll be more in-demand than ever. I will need you as my manager to take advantage of the offers that will be pouring in," she reminded me of my place in the grand scheme of things.

Janice was almost diabolical that way; she could and would turn set-backs around to suit her.

"I need something of my own—" I started to explain, but she cut me off.

"Yes, I gathered that, and that is why I am here—to lend you my support—and in return, you need to only continue to be my manager."

"But everyone would know the reason you and Colin broke up was me," I reminded her.

"Yes, that is the best part of the plan. You will receive your just desserts for sleeping with my fiancé. How could you anyway? I thought you didn't even like him," Janice murmured unaffectedly.