Chapter 6

Chapter6

"It's about time. Where the hell have you been?"

I looked at my vexed sister and was at a loss over what to say.

"Out?" I muttered vaguely.

"More like out and about," Janice stated with mild amusement, taking in my disreputable appearance. I tugged the neckline of my t-shirt up higher, but Colin's gaze remained rooted at my awesome curves. I cursed the light tones of the fabric, for I was certain the outline of my peaked nipples, courtesy of one lusty Erin, was visible to all. I tugged at the fabric again, this time trying to reduce its clingy effect.

"So, I heard you're back at modeling." Janice shifted her attention to a glaring Erin, who was staring daggers at Colin.

I shifted uncomfortably again. How could Janice know about his career change this soon? I knew the industry grapevines were rampant, but I never expected it to be this efficient.

"Who told you?" Erin cut to the quick. I could see his eyes clouding over with rising anger. I sighed.

"I have my sources," Janice started to prevaricate, but then, Erin took a threatening step forward, and Janice changed her tune. With a careless shrug, she said, "I am to be your intro back. I will be sharing the limelight of your return. You will be featured with me in a Vogue spread, and then, we are to light the runway in the opening for Paris fashion week."

I stared in horror. No way was this happening. Erin was mine! He belonged to me. I felt my eyes water up. The hunger for food and the unappeased appetite for Erin was working on my otherwise merry disposition. I excused myself lamely, needing the protection of girdled panties, a wired bra, plus a whole heap of clothes besides, to face what was certain to come.

I left the room in silence. I couldn't look at Erin or Janice, and I didn't bother at all with Colin. I closed my room door, shutting out the opening to what would no doubt be a heated argument. Leaning back against it, I allowed a tear to roll down my cheek unchecked before getting a hold of myself and setting about making myself presentable. I headed to the bathroom for what must be my third shower that morning. But I needed the hot water scalding down my back, and I needed heat of it soaking warmth back into my suddenly chilled skin. I emerged back into the room to hover about my closet space, hunting out more warm clothing to take away yet more of the same chills.

"I can tell you have missed me," Colin whispered from behind me, making me jump up about a foot high.

I turned to glare up at him, thankful I had already decently attired. Clad in a loose-fitting jumper suit, I looked more ready for a warm snuggle in bed with hot chocolate and a good romance. Not to face my ex-lover or my soon-to-be ex-lover, either. I had been running the brush through my hair while straining my ears to listen in on the row going on in the living room. Now that I thought about it, Colin had been strangely silent in letting the two trash it out.

"What are you doing here?"

"Where else would I be? Janice may be distracted from what brought us here, but I am not. There is a job coming your way that I want you to accept. You may recall the slimy old man from yesterday's launch after party. I believe he called you sex on heels. I can't say I disagree with him, having sampled your wares. You can be quite enticing when you put your mind to it."

I offered him a snarling grimace at that.

"Yes, well, as I was saying; that old dude is rolling with dough, and he wants you specifically for his add campaign. Brute perfume. They are trying to revamp its market segment and appeal to the younger crowds. As you know, curves can get a man's attention like nothing else can. So, they're picking you as the female face, and I am doing my best to secure the face of Brute himself."