Chapter 5

"You are back early; why?" my brother asked as I walked into the house. He was shaking from the cold air, and I could tell it was because the fire had burned out. "I kinda forgot about the fire," he said, apologetically. He looked down guiltily. "I then forgot how to restart it."

I shook my head, indicating that he didn't have to feel guilty for letting the fire burn out. "It's fine," I said. I went over to the fireplace and restarted it while Tony grunted and groaned, bringing in the heater.

"You could've helped me," he said, glaring at me. There was a smile on his face, and I could tell that he was teasing me.

"You are a strong male," I replied teasingly. "You should've been able to handle it."

Tony grunted and placed the heater in the kitchen. "I'm gonna get the generator. You still have a tarp?" he asked, coming back into the living room. "I don't want the firewood to get wet."

I nodded. "It's in the garage," I said, standing. I tossed some more wood into the fireplace before putting my hands on my pants. "Where are the others?" I asked, not spying our other siblings in the room with us.

"Your room," Georgie replied. "They took most of the blankets and are cuddling on your bed." He shrugged. "It's still kind of the most insulated room in the house."

I nodded. "I'll get them down here when it warms up a bit more." I licked my lips and hesitated. "How is she?" I asked. I didn't have to say who I was asking about because Georgie all ready knew.

Georgie shrugged. He looked down, and I could see that there was a glare on his face. He hated her, and I knew that there was nothing I could do about it. "The same useless state," he replied bitterly. "I don't know why sh-"

"Nor, do I," I said, interrupting him, "but that is not something for you to worry about. You are ten for Pete's Sake."

"And, you are eighteen," Georgie argued, "and, you shouldn't have to worry about this either. What will happen when you go to college? What will happen to us?"

"I don't' have the money to send me to college," I replied. "And, there is a community college in town, so if I did have money, then I would go to school there while you all are in classes. I can not let you have to do what I had to do to get money."

"But I can fight. The rest can fight, also," Georgie said. "You shouldn't have to be the only one that has to get money for our family."

"And if you get hurt, or worse killed, then I will never be able to forgive myself. It's a bad place there, Georgie."

"Then why did you do it?"

"I was too young to get a job any other way. And, I survived on wit alone until I got stronger and faster. I only taught you all to fight if someone finds out about you five that you all have a chance to defend yourself."

Georgie scowled but sighed in defeat. "I am just scared to lose you," he said, honestly. He blinked back tears, his gray eyes filled with loss and defeat. "What if you don't come back home? What will we do then?"

I felt my gaze soften as I took in this ten-year-old in front of me. I pulled him into a hug, knowing full well that that was what he needed. "Then, I will make sure that I find a way to get back to you. If that means selling my soul, then I will do that."

Georgie snorted and rolled his eyes. "Whatever," he said. "Can we go get the generator? And did Robbie get us food?"

"He did. It's in the truck. Get the kids situated in here, and then we can eat. I am certain you won't let me go back," Tony said. He raised an eyebrow when I looked up at him.

"Not if Robbie says that there will be a big snowstorm coming our way, which is why he sent me home."

"And because he saw you almost get into a fight with an old guy," Tony replied. "He thought it would be best to keep your temper from flaring up."

Georgie perked up at that. "A guy?" he asked. "What happened?"

"Go get the stuff, and then I will tell you. The others will have to be in here, also," I replied.

Georgie pouted but followed Tony out of the house. His whole body was hunched over, and I hated seeing him have to wear my coat indoors. Let's hope that whatever happens with my "grandmother," they would never have to wear their coats indoors anymore.

***

"So, let me get this straight, our grandmother is a queen?" Georgie asked. He took a bite of his food and watched me. "Where has she been?"

"In Erinshire," I replied, shrugging my shoulder. I took a sip of my drink, making sure that all my other siblings had been fed. "I can't believe it, but she does have my eyes."

"Did you ask for a birth certificate?"

I raised an eyebrow but didn't say a word.

"What do you mean?" my little sister, Jenny, asked. She handed me a piece of bread and scowled when I didn't take it. The scowl turned into a smile when I took it and ate it.

"Well, if she has a birth certificate that has our last name on it, then what she is saying might be true."

"Couple of problems with that," I replied. "One, we have our mother's last name. I don't think she has told us our father's last name. Jeb probably knows it, and I am sure that he would know about our "grandmother." Two, other people have the last name "Lamont" and aren't related to us."

"How do you know?" Georgie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"They just aren't," I replied. "And, even if they are, we won't be able to see them because Mom was basically kicked out of her family."

"What if we get kicked out of this family?" my brother Micah asked. "What then?"

I shrugged. "We survive," I replied. "That is all we can do."

"And, I don't think that they'll kick Mira out. She's supposed to be the next queen after all," Tony added.

I mentally groaned at the thought of having to run a whole kingdom by myself. "Great."