Chapter 1

I looked behind me to see a black car following me. A small frown appeared on my face because this same car has been following me for about the whole day, and I didn't know who it was. Somehow, the person inside the car knew where I lived, even though they didn't try to kidnap me or anything like that.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes before picking up my pace. I was wearing a dark hoodie underneath a leather jacket, dark jeans, a pair of black gloves, my black combat boots, and this black scarf covering that covered my mouth and nose. A black beanie was covering my ears, which was set underneath the hood of my hoodie. I was surprised that nobody had stopped me yet, since I knew that I looked like some mugger or thief. However, I wasn't complaining at all because I was all ready late for work.

I shook my head, not really wanting to think about it before turning around to look behind me again. The car had pulled up closer to me when I wasn't looking, and it caused me to get rather nervous and slightly jumpy.

"Shit," I muttered underneath my breath before starting to run in the snow. I knew that I wasn't going as fast as I wanted to, so when I saw an opening between some buildings, I dodged into it. I picked up my pace and weaved through the alleyways.

Thankfully, I knew the way around this area like the back of my hand, so I knew that I wouldn't be getting lost in the maze of buildings. I would make it so that the people following me were lost and didn't know where they were at.

Sweat started to form on my heated skin, and I silently cursed myself for wearing all black. However, I didn't have that many clothes, to begin with, because of my five other siblings and a parent that wants to drink and mope around rather than working and provide for the family.

"What the hell are you doing out here, Punk?" someone asked, slamming me against the wall. The person placed their arm across my throat, choking me. "We don't need someone like you running around."

I yelped, startled at being thrown against the wall and choked. I blinked and saw my boss's dark gray eyes, Robin Matts, who looked angry to see me.

"Robbie," I choked out. "It's me." I grabbed hold of his meaty arm and tried to pry it off of me. Damn, when did he start working out again?

Robin narrowed his eyes and pulled down the scarf that was covering my face. His eyes widened in surprise before he dropped me to the ground and stepped back. "Shit, Mira," he said. "What the hell with this get up?" He gestured to what I was wearing.

I took a deep breath of the crisp winter's air, glad that I was able to breathe. "It's cold," I grumbled, pulling off my hood and then my beanie while I stood, feeling slightly better. I moved a hand through my brown hair, sheepishly. "I had to give Georgie my winter jacket because he wouldn't fit. He gave his to Micah and so forth."

"Are they wearing it indoors?" Robbie asked, sounding surprised.

I looked down, hating the feeling of being weak and useless. "Ya," I said. "The power, water, and heater were turned off last night. And since it's a Saturday..."

"They won't be able to get warm," Robbie finished. He sighed and ran a hand through his black hair. "I'll take care of it. All you have to do is babysit Vanessa and Miguel on Sunday night. It's the Mrs. Birthday and Anniversary tomorrow, and I'm taking her out to eat."

I huffed, hating the fact that Robbie was basically paying the whole bill. "It's over two hundred dollars," I said, getting ready to argue. "I can't let you do that."

"And knowing you, you'd be going to the place and haggling with the people that work there. I will pay for it, and that is final." He narrowed his eyes at me. "You are family, Mira," he added.

"Not with just watching over your kids," I argued, not saying anything about how he said I was basically family.

"Then you will work Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Your siblings will come to have dinner here at six." He gave me a 'that is final' look before going into the building we were close to.

I sighed and followed him into the building, which was a restaurant called 'Hungry Hippos.' I knew that the name sounded like a game, but Robbie's oldest daughter had named the store because she loved hippos and still does, unfortunately.

A smile appeared on my lips when I thought about my crazy ass friend. However, it turned back into a frown because I knew that I wouldn't be able to change Robbie's mind. Hopefully, one day, I will be able to pay him back with all the things he had helped me with.