Chapter 23

"Park here," I said, pointing to an empty lot near my house after work was finished, and we went back to my house to collect the stuff that I needed. "I don't know if she is going to be watching or not, and I don't want to find out." I really didn't want a fight if she was.

Ramont nodded and parked where I had told him to. He turned off the engine and looked at me through the rearview mirror. "Do you want to go by yourself?" he asked while I took off my seat belt.

"Of course," I replied. "I don't want you to get hurt worse than you already are." I moved a hand through my hair and sighed before I shook my head and grimaced. "You should keep the car running. We're going to need to leave quickly."

Ramont raised an eyebrow in question but didn't start the car again. His hands gripped the steering wheel tighter, and I had no idea what he thought while he stared at me through the rearview mirror.

"I don't want anyone to mess with us," I mumbled, and he nodded. "And I still have to leave to go babysit Robbie's kids at five, and I have an hour to get there." I shook my head and huffed before I pursed my lips while dread settled into the pit of my stomach because I did not want to walk in the cold to do this. "It's a long walk to get there, and I have no idea where we are going after I am done with this and how to get there from that place."

"I will drive you there and back," Ramont said, and I nodded because I had a feeling that I wouldn't be able to change his mind. He raised an eyebrow while he studied me. "Does your grandmother know that you have to go babysit them?"

I shrugged and grimaced because I had no idea if she did or not, and I honestly didn't care. "I don't know," I replied, honestly, and opened the door. "But I want to worry about that later. I want to get the stuff first." I got out of the car and was about to close the door when Ramont stopped me.

"I'll tell her," he said, and I nodded again and felt relieved that he would do that for me. He gave me a pointed look, and I raised an eyebrow in question. "Be careful and don't get into any more fights. We don't need you to get injured worse than you already are."

I shook my head and gave him a small smile while I closed the door behind me. I wasn't used to having someone care for me, so it was a nice surprise to find someone that did. I bit back a sigh and shook my head while I walked to the wall that blocked my house from the one that I was at.

I again sighed and found the piece of wood that I had removed some of the nails from and pushed it out of the way to get into my yard. Silently, I slipped through and pushed the wood back in place before I walked over to where my room was located.

My whole body was tense, and I looked this way and that, feeling as if I was some thief in the night and not just a female going home in broad daylight and not wanting to be seen by her parent. My breathing was even while I walked over to my window and removed the screen, making sure to stay silent while I placed it near my feet.

Biting my lip, I put my hands on the window and prayed that it would still be halfway unlocked while I pushed it up. Relief filled my body when it moved up just a tad, but it was enough for me to slip my fingers through and pull the little device I had to get my window all the way open.

Click my device went, and my window popped open a bit more so that I could grab the bottom part of the window and slid it upward until I had enough room to slip in.

I stayed silent and waited for any sound to come in before moving the blinds out of my way and slipped in. My whole body was tense, and my heart pounded hard in my chest when I entered my house, and I prayed that I wouldn't have to see my mother.

Slowly, I started to move around my room, making sure to be very quiet, and prayed that she was drunk enough to know that I was there. I grabbed a bag that I hid between the mattress and the bed spring before I slowly opened my closet and went into the little hideaway I had made that held my important papers and cash.

Every so often, I would pause in collecting everything that I needed and waited for a bit to see if I would hear any noise that would indicate my mother moving around the house.

However, I did not and was able to collect everything that I needed, place the piece that I used to hide everything that was important back where it was supposed to be, and slipped out of the room before anyone was the wiser.

I bit back a sigh of relief when I was outside and closed the window before making sure that it was locked and placed the screen back where it was supposed to be. My heart pounded hard in my chest when I turned tail and walked away as quickly as I could to get back to Ramont and start a new chapter in my life with my siblings.

Hopefully, this one would be better than the life that I had led so far. My family and I needed it after the shit life had given us, and there was no way in hell I could make lemonade out of that.