Lima 2

**Candace's POV**

Ava didn't say anything to me for a while after my confession. She looked thoughtful, I think. Either thoughtful or mad. She didn't even ask for help when she tried to make her way to the bathroom, although I rushed to help her anyway. I got an occasional smile, but that was all.

According to the clock, she hadn't said a word in an hour. I guess I felt anxious about it. I didn't want her to be mad at me, but I'd just told her I'd had a baby by her husband. How would she react if I told her about what happened to the first baby?

My jumbled thoughts came to a halt when the buzzer sounded.

Father is coming.

I panicked. It was allowance day. I ran to the closet to find a suitable outfit. I had a pink lace bra in my hand when Ava came out of the bathroom and leaned against a bookcase.

I'd been so fixed on getting ready before he gets here that I'd forgotten she was here. Luckily, she spoke so that I didn't have to spend the next five minutes figuring out what to say.

"He's coming?"

I nodded.

"You're getting dressed for him?"

I nodded again. "I have to."

"Because he'll hit you?"

She sounded bitter. I nodded and lifted my shirt to show her the short, straight cut that was prominent on my waist.

She tapped her fingers against the wood and nodded.

"I need to get dressed. I- You should get dressed too."

She scoffed. "I don't think so."

"But-"

"My husband is not my keeper. I'll die before I cower in fear of him."

I was shocked. How could she be so brave? Why is she not afraid? We were silent for a beat.

"That pink color matches your skin tone," she said, almost as if it were an afterthought, and sat on the edge of the bed. She picked up the book she had been reading, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and lay back near the head of the bed.

I opened my mouth to say something, but decided against it and scampered to the bathroom to get dressed.

~~~~~

There were two minutes left on the clock when I sat on the bed, in the middle, the way I had been taught. Ava lay behind me, reading, as if she hadn't a care in the world.

"Ava, are you sure you don't want to get dressed?" I whispered slowly.

"He can't hear you, you know," she remarked instead of answering me.

I clear my throat, but I don't say anything else. When what I really want to do is scream what an idiot she's being and shove her into the first suitable outfit I get my hands on. Not that that would ever work out.

I close my eyes and slow my breathing. You look nervous, I hear Father's voice in my head. Are you afraid of me, Baby Doll?  he asks. His tone is forever mocking me.

I don't want to be afraid of him. I wish I had Ava's courage, even if I am mad at her for testing him. For now though, I'll work on not looking afraid. I've gotten good at that.

The door opens just as the timer goes off.