Side Story: The truth of the severed head

A day in the (previous) life of Body-sama

There was a severed head in the park.

It seems to be a male in his early twenties. It is a severed head that is quite good-looking but has a kind of frivolous feel about it. I was returning home from high school and was cutting through a small park with nothing but a swing and a sandpit, but as if the sand pit was a gallows, a head was plopped there.

I stopped with my expression stiffening. It is already sufficiently shocking for there to be a severed head in the sand put of a park, but since in this world you here about dangerous incidents nowadays, it's is not something that is impossible to accept. In that case I would probably quickly contact the police. But that severed head caused an extremely miraculous phenomenon.

It made eye contact with me.

I tried moving my head a bit to the side. The severed head's eyeballs moved to match my movement. The sun has long since set and cicadas are calling out around me. A summer night, like a ghost story.

Let's act like we never saw it.

That's because a phenomenon that can never occur in reality cannot be real, which means the phenomenon in front of me is just a trick of light or a hallucination, and so I judged that dealing with something like that is just a waste of time. It's not like I'm the type of person who never enters the haunted mansion at an amusement park, or the type to turn pale and cover my ears just because of my friends' ghost stories, it's definitely not related to that.

Anyway, in order to escape from the severed head, I tried to leave the park a fast pace. After all it's just a severed head. Thinking about it in terms of physics, there is no way it can move. In fact I pray that is true. I don't want to hear opinions that it would be strange for a paranormal phenomenon to follow the laws of physics. I don't really have the confidence in retaining my sanity in the one in a million chance of the head floating up and chasing me.

"Hey, you over there."

Hiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

The severed head spoke. No, of course there is no way a severed head can speak, but for now I head a voice from behind me. It's definitely a passer-by or something calling out to me. There is no need to respond to that.

Just leave

"Eh, ignored? No, wait a bit. No joke, help me."

I heard nothing

From behind came a voice that was more flustered than before.

Let's act as if we never heard it.

Isn't it an ancient saying not to listen to ghosts? We should respect our ancestor's warning. In fact, is that really some kind of ghost? Maybe it's from some criminal that got beheaded in the past. What a scary thing. Please hurry up and rest in peace. This severed head is definitely looking for people to accompany it on the way to hell. No, for a severed head that can't move on it's own, it might be looking for someone to carry it. But either way please excuse me. I will live a peaceful ordinary life.

The road to hell is to be travelled alone

"Uwah, I beg you......shit. You......err, I can see your black panties!"

DIE!

At the point when I was one step from a peaceful ordinary life. Right before that, the one sentence the severed head said blew away my fear and various other emotions and I stopped.