Chapter 9

Hannah's P.O.V

Police officers were very tense. That was the first thing i noticed about PC Hart. His furrowed grey brow and his mouth scarred into a scowl, clearly from years of pulling the same face. This analysis of the man sitting in front of me was a coping mechanism. A distraction from the fact that my thighs were cold on the metal of a chair, in a cold room, with a cold police officer, being questioned. The school had done what they were obligated to do which was to report the attack i had declared to them a few days ago. My mother was anxiously pacing in the hall waiting for me to emerge from the room and tell her it was all over and that Bryce was going to go to jail and we could all live happily ever after. This was unrealistic and the worn and tired look behind my mom's eyes told me she knew this too. The stern Police officer cleared his throat and hit record on the small stereo next to us, thus commencing the interview. I could feel my insides tangling. Twisting uncomfortably in my stomach like cables and wires. "Hannah Baker please can you detail, for the recording, your version of events surrounding the accusations against Bryce Walker on the night of April the 25th 2017?"  It was so blunt and harsh. I felt like i was talking to a robot. I didnt want to detail the most traumatising, earth shattering experience i have ever had to a stereo and a man only slightly more that just a pre recorded voice. I swallowed slowly and closed my eyes before speaking. Before explaining what had happened. Before pressing charges on Bryce Walker. I told the recording what i had told Mr Porter and later my parents. I was choking on tears and jagged breathes as I weeped my story only thinking of running out the room and throwing up. 

Clay's P.O.V 

I sat on the stairs of the precinct, waiting for Hannah to emerge with her parents. The sun slithered down the steps as it began to set over the houses in front of me and i anxiously tapped my foot up and down on the ground, biting my nails to the quick. It was around an hour later when Mrs Baker's voice called for me, making me turn round and see the three of them exiting the police station, Hannah, wrapped in her dad's embrace and her mom beckoning me towards them . I stood up and walked quickly over to Hannah. She looked exhausted and her mouth was quivering as tears pooled between her upper and bottom lip. Hannah's father let her go and gently guided her over to me as i held both her hands in mine. She slowly and gently wrapped her arms around my lower torso, pressing her head into my chest, while i combed her hair behind her ear. Her mum patted her back gently, drawing her face from my body. "Lets go home baby." She said looking down at her little girl sympathetically. She did it in a way that wasn't condescending. It felt very real. "If its okay with you Hannah, i think Clay should maybe stay the night?" She asked looking between us and rubbing her daughters cheek softly . Hannah nodded and put her arm round my back as we walked down the steps towards the Baker's car and i draped my arm over her shoulder, pulling her into me  as we made our way back to Hannah's House.

Hannah's P.O.V

"The incident will be further investigated however, due to you having no witnesses, the attack taking place months ago meaning you have no physical or bodily evidence and a crime scene that will have no remaining traces, without a credible piece of evidence being introduced, a charge against Bryce Walker will be unlikely." The police officer's monotone response to my story rang in my ears as I glared out the window emptily, clutching Clays hand on my lap, staring at nothing in particular. The loud sound of my dad pulling up the clutch as he parked in the drive, snapped me from my stupor and Clay leant over me to open the car door. 

A few hours had passed since i had made my formal statement at the station. We had all had dinner and Clay and i had just finished re watching Strictly Ballroom under a blanket in my bedroom. I sat up from my position on Clay's shoulder and glared at him comedically until he turned round and grinned at me. I felt much lighter now. Not quite better, but lighter.  It was  late by now and our moods had reached the red zone of being overtired when you aren't even tired anymore, your just delirious. We discussed every ridiculous subject under the sun, from wether or not food was alive and wether it liked being eaten eg. fulfilling its purpose or disliked it eg. being murdered and wether or not the moon landing was staged, launching us both into a ludicrous debate on this matter at 1am. "Hannah the moon landing was not staged. There is literally an American flag on the moon." Clay bickered laughing at my stubbornness. "Yes it was!" I giggled back. "There is so much evidence to prove that it is fake, i mean come on that whole clip looked green screened and..." I ranted on at him while he rolled his eyes and picked up his phone clearly ignoring my poorly structured speech. "Helmet! I am trying to explain to you my NASA conspiracy theory!" I laughed, swiping the phone out of his hands and making a run for it off my bed. I was too slow however as Clay grabbed my leg and pulled me back along the bed towards him. "Hannah Baker, give it back!" He shouted trying to reach my hands that i was desperately stretching out in front of me, far from Clay's reach. "Fine then." He grinned tickling my sides making me retract my arms downwards to protect myself. "Clay!" I laughed squirming, my laughter echoing around the room as i  desperately tried to keep his phone from his grasp. I Quickly turned onto my back, hiding the phone underneath me, giggling as he continued to tickle my sides whilst i attempted to grab his wrists. "Clay this is cheating!" I screamed eventually giving in and handing him the concealed phone. "Thank you very much." He said smirking victoriously.

Clay's P.O.V

She flopped back down onto the bed sighing at her defeat whilst i laughed, laying down next to her turning onto my side to face her. "Your adorable." I laughed. She turned and curved her mouth into a larger smile. "Hey that's my line!" she sniggered turning onto her side to face me. I reached for her hand and laced my fingers through hers. "I know how to get what i want now." I said grinning challengingly. She rolled her eyes and bit her lip "Shut up Helmet."