5: Spill Over

*Image of Kunda Hideki at the right

5: Spill Over

Hideki told on her already. Both Etsuo and Izo knew about the ticket. They were all inside an empty classroom, the three boys standing, while Sonya was sitting down. It was almost like an interrogation.

“It’s no big deal, really. You should have just told us you got one so we wouldn’t have to go and buy one for you,” said Etsuo unhappily.

“What? No... I didn’t buy the ticket... Someone gave it to me... Wait,” Sonya stopped. “Did you just say you guys bought me a ticket?”

Izo pointed from behind Etsuo and mouthed “Etsuo’s idea”.

Sonya frowned a little. It suddenly made her feel bad but happy at the same time.

“Aww, that’s so sweet of you guys... I’m so sorry... You didn’t have to. But I didn’t buy the ticket. Why won’t you guys believe me?”

“Well, it’s a little hard to believe,” grinned Hideki. “You’re only Gyakusetsu’s number one fan. And to think that you’re going to see Ukita... I don’t think you’re gonna let that pass.”

“Do I look that desperate to see him?” shrugged Sonya. “I can’t believe this. You guys actually think I’m lying?”

“Not really,” said Etsuo. “It’s just hard to piece things together.”

“What’s there to piece together? It’s just like this. Someone gave me a ticket.”

“Hm... So you’ve got an admirer now?” grinned Izo.

Etsuo looked at Sonya.

Sonya couldn’t help but smile, and then she shook her head right away. “I—I,” Sonya blushed.

“She’s blushing!” Hideki pointed accusingly.

Etsuo looked at her. Sonya’s face was as red as cherries.

“I-I... I wouldn’t put it that way...” Sonya smiled weakly. But she hoped it was so. But it wasn’t possible, of course.

“So who gave it to you?” asked Etsuo in a prying tone.

Hideki and Izo exchanged glances.

“Um,” Sonya scratched her head. “I don’t think you guys would believe me.”

The three guys standing before her crossed their arms. It sure appeared as though she were a suspect of an unforgivable crime.

Sonya whispered Ukita Kenoyo’s name.

“What??” Etsuo asked. He didn’t understand what Sonya had said.

Sonya rolled her eyes and shrugged. She grabbed hold of his plaid-patterned tie and pulled him gently to whisper into his ear, but he reflexively and suddenly yanked her hand away before she could say anything, missing her face by mere centimeters. Etsuo lost his balance when he moved backwards, causing him to topple over the chair behind him.

“E-Etsuo!” Sonya cried out, jumping up to her feet, and ignoring the pain in her hand.

“Are you all right, Etsuo?” asked Hideki, who was lifting the chair in place.

Izo was muffling a laugh.

Sonya bent over to offer her hand to Etsuo. He didn’t take her hand. Instead, he shrugged and stood up on his own.

“Etsuo... You okay?” asked Sonya. “What’s wrong?”

Etsuo straightened out his clothes. And then unexpectedly, he walked out on them.