3: Gyakusetsu

*Image of Inoue Izo at the right

3: Gyakusetsu

Sonya gave out a loud moan. She woke up and found out her eyes were red and puffy when she looked at the mirror inside her bathroom. It was weird, because she had forced herself to sleep before she could cry. About that... She remembered Etsuo teasing her. She took out her toothbrush and toothpaste.

Had she cried in her sleep?

It suddenly hit her that she had a dream, but she couldn’t remember most of what happened. Etsuo was there. Izo too. And Hideki. They were laughing. Then she was crying... But there was someone who held her shoulder and...

Sonya spit out the mouthwash.

“Ukita!” she exclaimed.

She ransacked her brain trying to remember what had happened next.

Ukita smiled at her. Then he laughed as well. He joined Etsuo, Izo, and Hideki.

Sonya examined her eyes.

They were laughing at her in her dream, and now she had puffed eyes. She got out of the bathroom after a quick shower to get into fresh clothes.

“Neechan!”

Sonya instinctively covered herself with whatever she had in her hands.

“Didn’t you learn how to knock?!” Sonya screamed.

Sonya liked Sasako as her sister in every way possible but she could get so annoying at times.

“Gomen!” Sasako apologized with a giggle. “I just wanted to remind you about this afternoon.”

Sonya snorted a yes then pushed her sister out of the room before locking the door.

It was break time. The four of them spent their time in the canteen. Hideki was munching noisily on cheese crackers while Sonya tapped the tip of her pen against her chin.

“Here,” said Etsuo, dropping a roll of paper on Sonya’s notebook.

“What’s this?” Sonya asked.

“Just open it,” Etsuo urged. “I figured you wanted one even though you said you didn’t. You took off so early last night.”

Sonya raised an eyebrow but did as she was told.

“This is...”

“Ukita Kenoyo’s school tour,” Hideki and Izo said at the same time as Sonya scrutinized the Gyakusetsu poster.

Etsuo leaned back on his chair and watched Sonya.

“I know,” she said. “But what is it for? The poster, I mean.”

“Actually, it’s not just that. We planned to buy tickets later. We found out they were having a concert the following day after the school tour,” informed Etsuo and then quickly turning to Izo. “It’s quite weird for us to find out just now. We must’ve forgotten to turn on our TV sets because of our plates...”

“Yeah,” Izo yawned and stretched his long arms upward.

A school tour. Sonya thought. Was her university part of his itinerary as well?

Sonya couldn’t keep herself from smiling. So that’s why so many girls had been giggling like mad lately. It was the tour and the concert. She didn’t even know. Etsuo was right. She must’ve been too busy with school stuff. Or she just wasn’t paying much attention to the television.

“So, you want to go later and buy tickets?” asked Etsuo.

Hideki and Izo’s eyes met.

There was an obvious frown of disappointment on Sonya’s face.