1: Reflection

*Image of Hatakeyama Sasako on the right

1: Reflection

Itadakimasu!” said Sonya with a smile. Her mom had prepared her favorite meal, chicken curry.

Neechan!” called out Sonya’s younger sister, Sasako.

“Yes?” asked Sonya without bothering to look at her sister. Apparently, she was too busy enjoying the curry to spare her sister a glance.

“I need help,” murmured Sasako.

“I can’t. I’ve got my hands full right now, Sasako.”

“I can see that,” Sasako said sarcastically with a sigh, raising a sardonic brow at the bowl and chopsticks on her sister’s hands. “But I really need help,” Sasako insisted, “It won’t take long.”

“But—”

“—Help your sister, will you, Sonya?” said their mother, Isami in a rather annoyed tone, but it was more because of Sasako’s whining and not of rebuke. “Besides, you need to take a break yourself.”

“That wouldn’t be a break, Kaasan!” protested Sonya. “And you’re not talking to a kid.”

Isami smiled while rolling her eyes.

“Neechan!” cried Sasako again.

“I got it, I got it! All right, I’ll help then... Whatever it is you need help with... I was only kidding,” shrugged Sonya. She looked at her dad, who was watching TV.

Toosan, are you eating that?” grinned Sonya.

But she didn’t really wait for an answer. She quickly grabbed her dad’s share and munched happily on the chicken. It was baseball night, her dad’s favorite game. He was too preoccupied to protest. Thank you, sports channel.

Sonya dragged her feet up the stairs, which completely annoyed Sasako. Sonya was doing it on purpose.

“Hurry up, Neechan, will you?” called Sasako impatiently.

Sonya grinned. She just loved teasing her sister. It was such an irresistible temptation. She just had to grab the opportunity whenever it came. By the time Sonya reached the top of the stairs, Sasako had already entered her room.

“So,” Sonya began as she went into Sasako’s room, making a mental note to fix the chaotic pothole that was her room. Sasako’s was so annoyingly neat. “Where’s the homework?”

Sonya automatically moved away when Sasako ran towards her, but Sasako went past her and immediately closed the door.

“What’s going on?” Sonya asked with a raised eyebrow. “Is it so necessary not to let anyone disturb us?”

“Actually, I need to tell you something...” said Sasako as she sat down on the bed.

Lines formed on Sonya’s forehead. Sasako, on the other hand, was trying her best to control a smile.

“Why do I get the feeling that this has nothing to do with homework?” Sonya declared more than asked.

Aa,” agreed Sasako, now smiling, unable to hide it any longer.

Sonya raised an eyebrow once again and placed her hands on her hips.

“So what is it? And what the heck are you smiling about? It’s giving me the creeps.”

“Can you promise not to tell Toosan or Kaasan?”

“Huh? Er, um... Sure...? Why? Why can’t I tell them? Are you pregnant?”