In Which We Depart

The next morning, we were ready to leave. We had prepared the boat last night—or, at least, tried to. Mrs. Simone made us rest and set some other kids on the job.

We were on a different boat this time. Larger than the Puck, but smaller than the Queen Titania, the Lady Beatrice was about the size of two RV's. Large enough so we wouldn't be cramped, but comfortable.

Ravi came up beside me and chuckled softly. "More Shakespeare. Go figure."

I smiled. I wished I knew more about Shakespeare. I had done some Ophelia monologues before, but Ravi's passion made me want to do more.

"Which play?" I asked.

"Much Ado About Nothing. One of my favorites. Beatrice is really sassy and empowering."

I nodded. "Nice.

Just then, Mrs. Simone, Dr. Smith, Juan, and Giselle walked up. Giselle trailed slightly behind Juan, her head down as usual.

Mrs. Simone looked at us sadly. As it was still early morning, the mist drifted around her and gave the scene a mystic air. The moisture settled onto my clothes, cold and damp. I pulled my cargo jacket tighter around me.

Just then, Tess came running up, Lee behind her in fairy form. They stopped next to Dr. Smith.

An idle part of my brain remarked that they were always together, but I dismissed the thought.

Silently, Mrs. Simone stepped forwards and embraced me. I closed my eyes.

It occurred to me that this was the only time we had left the island in a planned, orderly fashion. Both times before, there had been no time to think, only move. No time for mourning. No time for fear.

I decided then that I preferred that. This was too heartbreaking. Unhappy thoughts rose in my stomach, quiet fears that whispered I would never see these people again.

When we had finally finished hugging everyone (with the exception of Giselle, who hung back), we boarded the Lady Beatrice. I ran my hand over the smooth wooden railing.

"Interesting inscription," Ravi remarked.

I turned to see a single phrase carved into the mast.

"Oh that I were a man! I would eat his heart in the marketplace."

"I like it," Audrey declared.

Dr. Smith and Mrs. Simone shared a look.

"It's, ah, a gift for you, Audrey," Dr. Smith said, adjusting his glasses. "We started building the Lady Beatrice when you first came into our lives for good. I was going to fill the entire mast with different quotes from empowering Shakespearean women, but..." he gave a guilty shrug, "I haven't gotten very far yet."

Audrey's mouth fell open, stunned. A smile slowly spread across her face. Then she leapt out of the boat and embraced her parents tightly.

I felt warmth blossom in my chest. It was a touching moment.

Mr. Marquez approached the vessel and pulled something out of his pocket. It was a small rock, about the size of his palm. He beckoned Amarie forwards and placed it in her hands.

"This is Ore, the golem you met earlier," he explained. "I changed his magic encoding a bit so he's not restricted to moving around at night. Just double tap him, and he'll wake up."

She smiled slightly. "Thank you."

"I figured you could use a little someone to lighten the mood," he said with a wink. "And besides, he wanted to come."