Chapter XV-Sometimes Spring is Dark

Every newspaper Draco received seemed to have reports of an increasing number of deaths. The new year seemed to bring a new, somber mood to the castle. Even Sirius had gone grim. The ministry wouldn't admit it yet, but everyone knew what the news reports meant. The parents of students worried about their kids, the kids about their families outside the castle's barriers. The teachers doing what they could to shield the children from the levity of what was happening, and Order members recognizing the signs of impending war.

One day, Draco looked up from his food to make a comment to Hermione sitting across from him, when he caught a glimpse on the front page of a nearby student's Daily Prophet. Suddenly his world stopped, he became almost catatonic. As the teen refused to process what he had read, he couldn't hear his friends calling his name, he couldn't see Sirius, Remus, and Severus approach from the High Table, having just read the news themselves. Without saying a word, he abruptly stood up, sprinting to the nearest bathroom, not realizing he'd entered the girl's loo.

"Draco!" Suddenly, he could hear his Potions Master calling his name. He locked himself into a stall, unable to control the sobs being ripped from his chest.

"LEAVE!" Draco had screamed so loud, it reverberated around the room and those standing in the corridor could hear. Severus Snape, realizing the boy had no wish to see him, left the bathroom, closing it off to the general population to give Draco some privacy.

"Draco, please it's me. Come out. Snape closed the bathroom so it's just us right now." The blond gave no answer as he cried himself sick. When the retching began, he heard Harry unlock the stall. Soon he could feel his back being rubbed.

"I am so sorry, Draco." Draco turned to look at Harry.

"I-I-It's all MY fault! I'm why he killed them! If I had never left, they'd be alive!" Draco began sobbing even harder, which he didn't think was possible, as the brunette wrapped his arms around him. Harry sat on the bathroom floor, holding Draco as he cried until he had no more tears.

"You read these articles, you see the names, but it doesn't really click until it's someone you know," Draco spoke in nothing more than a small whisper.

"I know. I see those names, too. Every once in a while I come across the name of someone I knew as a child or the name of an Order member, and it's all I can do not to break down. I see students come to meals with red, puffy eyes. We all see that the world is changing, deteriorating." Harry ended his statements with a kiss on Draco's head.

"How many?" Draco finally looked at Harry.

"How many what?" Draco sat straighter.

"How many people killed since Christmas? It's May, not even half a year. How many have they killed?" Draco had a sad but fierce in his eyes.

"Last night, Sirius told me about 50 wizards and hundreds of muggles, though the Ministry is trying to pretend the muggle killings are freak accidents. Bridge collapses, schools exploding, they are to kill as many in one event as they can." Harry looked sad, almost defeated. He hated hearing about the deaths. Draco knew every death that happened because of Voldemort, Harry blamed himself, believing he should be able to protect them, or that he should have somehow defeated the madman last year.

"Come on, let's go to the Hospital Wing. Madam Pomfrey should have a potion for your nerves." Harry dragged Draco behind him, showing Draco he had no choice but to see the Matron of Hogwarts.

When they arrived at their destination, Madam Pomfrey made Draco lay down to rest, and soon an exhausted sleep overtook him.

"We have to do SOMETHING, Moony!" Draco awoke to a commotion outside the curtains surrounding his hospital bed.

"There is nothing we can do, son. I wish there was, I really do. Dumbledore knows what he is doing. we can't be reckless about this, or our names will be added to those in the Prophet."

"If we don't do something soon, there won't be anyone to mourn our names in that blasted snot-rag. Sirius, come on, you know I'm right!" Harry sounded desperate for support.

"Cub, I know this isn't what you want to hear right now, but you should listen to Moony. We don't know enough to fight a battle. The Order isn't ready. And you are 15! I know you aren't ready and the last thing in the world I want is to lose you." Sirius sounded pained, concerned, and defeated. Draco had never heard so many negative feelings in the man's voice before.

"So I have to sit by and watch everything unravel? I can see how bad things are getting, Padfoot. I hear the whispering. I see you and Remus coming out of your office teary eyed after a member's name is in the Prophet. I see Remus looking even frailer every month than before. I've watched the humor and spirit drain from you. I see the glint in Dumbledore's eyes gone. I sat on the floor while Draco, so delirious from his parent's death he didn't know he was in a girl's restroom, cried so hard it broke my heart. I see all these kids, some first years, become orphans, including him now. I can't stand it anymore! We have to fix this and soon. I'm prepared this time. I've been working, training hard. I'm not letting anyone else die because I was incompetent last year!" Harry stopped short as the two men gasped.

"Harry James Potter, none of this is your fault. The muggle attacks, the murders, the Malfoy's deaths, they are all his fault. No one is responsible for Voldemort's actions but himself. You need to stop blaming yourself. Now go back in there before Draco wakes up. He is gonna need you now more than ever. We will see you after dinner. I've already asked Hermione to grab the day's classwork for the two of you." Draco quickly closed his eyes again, feigning sleep. He heard two sets of footsteps retreat as someone grabbed his hand. Draco Malfoy knew, in that moment, that no matter what happened or how bad this got, he was okay for now.