Chapter 13

I felt pressure against my back and legs. I was being carried. I wanted so much to open my eyes and see who it was, but I was too scared to do so. I had a feeling it was my father. There was so much pain going through me. Everywhere I had been kicked burned like hell. I could feel dried blood on my face, and my head was pounding. Part of me wished I was dead because then this would all be over with. My father would have no more reason to torture anyone, and I would be without pain.

                Me made are way up some steps and I heard the person carrying me grunt. I became confused because it wasn’t my father’s voice. When I opened my eyes back up, Toby’s face was the first thing I saw.

                “TOBY! Oh my god!” I screamed and wrapped my arms around him.

                I could feel the tears trickle down my face as I cried into his chest. I was so glad it was him and not my father. What had happened? How did he manage to get me away? I was about to ask him that when all of a sudden we came to Toby’s car and he gently helped me in. He then got into the driver’s seat and began driving. He looked angry and upset.

                “Toby.. how?” Was all I could say.

                He took a deep breath and began explaining. “When you called me I was already on my way to your house. Instead of turning into your neighborhood, I kept going straight and I saw your phone on the ground, smashed to pieces. I continued driving until I saw a truck on the side of the woods. When I stopped I grabbed the gun in my trunk. My dad left it there when he borrowed my car to go hunting. I searched the woods for house without finding anything, and instead of going back I fell asleep on the ground. I woke up and continued searching for you. I was so determined. And then I saw you and your dad. It killed me, Lee. What he was doing to you. I couldn’t help it. I had to shoot him.” He said.

                I was shocked. I couldn’t stop staring at him in disbelief. I would never have thought Toby was able to actually shoot someone.

                “Lee, I love you.” He told me.

                I smiled and wrapped my arms around him. “I love you too.” I said.

                We drove like that for a while until we hit the hospital. He helped me walk inside and we told the lady at the front what happened. She then checked me into a room and told me a police officer would be by shortly to discuss everything.

                “I’m nervous.” I told Toby after the lady walked out.

                He took my hand in his and smiled. “Don’t be. Everything will be okay.” He assured me.

                I nodded and sighed. It wasn’t long after that before a police officer came in and sat down in a chair after pulling it closer to the bed I was in. “Alright, start from the top.”

                I told him everything. About how when I was younger and my dad abused me in every way possible, how he had stalked me, and then when he kidnapped me. I had to tell him about the cutting because when they examined my body for injuries they would see the scars. The police officer just nodded the whole time and wrote things down in his notebook.

                Then it was Toby’s turn. He told the officer about saving me. I was really proud of him and so thankful. If it weren’t for him I would have probably been dead right now. The officer said he would be right back, and then a nurse came in. “How are you today?” She asked.