Plot Twist

I was going to meet Jasper in 20 minutes. I hadn't seen him all day, nor Harry. I supposed Mr. Bonelli had put them both on some sort of probation. Either that or they were nursing their wounds. But I had no doubt Jasper would be waiting for me today.

I honestly wasn't really fond of the idea of seeing him after what happened between him and Harry. Thinking about his fists slamming into Harry made me my stomach lurch. But it was my fault though, I was the reason for what the fight started in the first place. I had led Jasper on, and whether I’d done it because I’d been confused or flattered or the tiniest bit interested didn’t matter anymore. What mattered was that I be direct with him today: there was nothing between us. I like him just as a friend, nothing more.

I took a deep breath, tugged my shirt down on my hips, and pushed open the bathroom door. 

As I got near the gates I couldn't see Jasper. There was no sign of him. Had I been pranked? God, I'm such a fool. I looked through the high metal gates at the dense grove of ancient elm trees across the road. I bit my lip, thinking back to the time when Harry had told me he hated it when I did that. But he wasn’t here to see me do it; no one was. Then I noticed a folded piece of paper with my name on it. It was staked to the thick, gray-trunked magnolia tree next to the broken call box.

I’m saving you from Social tonight. While the rest of our fellow students stage a Civil War reenactment, sad but true, you and I will paint the town red. A black sedan with a gold license plate will bring you to me. Thought we could both use a dose of fresh air.

—J

A black sedan picking me up from campus? To bring me to him, like he was some sort of monarch who could just arrange on a whim for women to be fetched? Where was he, anyway? None of this was part of my plan. I’d agreed to meet him only to tell him that he was being too forward and I really couldn’t see myself getting involved with him. Because, although I’d never tell him, every time his fist had struck Harry the night before, something inside me had flinched and started to boil. Clearly, I needed to nip this little thing with Jasper in the bud. I had the gold serpent necklace in my pocket. It was time to give it back.

Except now I felt stupid for assuming that Jasper just wanted to talk. Of course he’d have something more up his sleeve. He was that kind of guy.

The sound of car wheels slowing made me turn my head. A black sedan rolled to a stop in front of the gates. The tinted driver’s-side window rolled down and a hairy hand came out and picked up the receiver from the call box outside the gates. After a moment, the receiver was slammed back into its cradle and the driver just leaned on his horn.

At last, the great groaning metal gates parted and the car pulled forward, stopping in front of me. The doors softly unlocked. Was I really going to get into that car and drive who-knew-where to meet him?

The last time I’d stood at these gates had been to say goodbye to my parents when they brought me here when classes began. Jeez, I miss them so much. I heard a robotic noise above me, a camera. Jasper couldn’t have picked a worse spot for the car to pick me up. Did he think I wanted to see him so badly I’d risk just walking off campus in plain view of the cameras?

The car was still humming on the driveway in front of me. After a moment, the driver extended his hand. In it was a small white envelope. I hesitated a second before stepping forward to take it from his fingers.

Jasper’s stationery. A heavy, creamy ivory card with his name letterpressed in decadent gold at the bottom left-hand corner.

Should have mentioned before, the camera's been duct. See for yourself. I took care of it, like I’ll take care of you. See you soon, I hope.