Chapter Eighteen

I was sitting down at the smoothie bar, my mind in a disarray of emotions. I was able to help Denise and Sasha with some of their Anatomy studying, but even they could tell my mind was somewhere else. They had asked me who that young man was who stayed behind to talk to me, and I told them he was someone they shouldn't get involved with. I closed my eyes solemnly. Sooner or later, Black would drag them in to the situation to get me to go back to America. Images of Ally's strangled body flashed through my mind and I cringed. I snapped my eyes open and I saw Denise staring at me with a worried expression.

"Your face is awfully pale," she commented as she reached up to feel my forehead. "You don't seem to have a fever," she whispered as she removed her hand.

"Did something happen? Are you not feeling well?" chimed in Sasha, looking equally concerned. I smiled weakly at them.

"Just something unexpected happened, that's all." That's all I can say to them for now. Sasha did not look convinced.

"Girl, you were all giddy this morning and now you are like the living dead. You can tell us what's going on." I squeezed my eyes shut. They had no idea. No one did. I had escaped to New Zealand in order to establish myself as a top-notch lawyer so I could return to the states and take down Black once and for all. But, as always, Black was always ahead of me, laughing as I try to keep up. There was no way I was going to surpass him.

"I received an unpleasant message from someone in the states," I whispered, opening my eyes. "It isn't something I wanted to acknowledge."

Sasha covered her mouth suddenly as her eyes widened. "Don't tell me they want you to go back?"

"It's looking like that," I said quietly, taking another sip of my smoothie.

"That's not fair!" Denise shouted. I flinched at her tone and noticed other people had looked in our direction.

"Denise, don't raise your—"

"Don't tell me that, Jess!" shouted Denise as she flared up at me. "Your supervisor has approved of everything so far, so why the sudden change of heart? It just doesn't make sense to me!" I stared at Denise, whose face was red from her outburst. Flickering my eyes over towards Sasha, I saw she was the exact same way. I lowered my head to the floor. It's not my supervisor, but how can I tell them in ways they would understand? An idea came to my mind.

"It's not my supervisor," I said softly, making sure my eyes looked troubled. Denise and Sasha stared at me for a moment, exchanged a look between them, then looked back at me. I looked at them and, flashing a sad smile, spoke up. "It's my father."

"What?" said Sasha as her eyes widened. "But, he hasn't reached out to you in—"

"Years, I know," I said as I took another sip. "Which is why I'm so troubled."

"What could that lowlife possibly want?" snapped Denise as she slammed her textbook shut.

"Denise, please show some decency!" scolded Sasha. "He's still Jess' father."

"Well, he's never acted like one."

I chuckled at their tones. "It's alright. Unfortunately, Denise is right. I don't know what he wants or why he has suddenly summoned me to the states...unless..." I trailed off, wracking my brain for something else.

"Unless what?" growled Denise as she stared at me with fierce eyes.

I sighed heavily. "Unless my Grandpa is dying."

"Surely the nursing home would've called you," said Sasha.

"To be honest, they probably forgot about me too." I can't tell them I had to stop going.