Chapter Twelve

My eyes were closed as I listened to the bustle of the courtroom around me. My stomach was knotted up and it felt as if I had acid sliding down my throat. The day of the trial finally arrived, and I was in the progress of having a mental breakdown. Over the last few days, Black had ensured my cooperation through various means of torture. Being locked in the underground cellar for a few days made me realize he wasn't playing around anymore. He wanted to make sure my cooperation was there, and although I hate to admit it, he had it. There was no way I was going to turn on Black; not now. He had too much power for one man, and I knew how much power he actually had. Black wasn't aware of this fact yet, but I had done some digging of my own. The Crimson Crow was, in fact, owned by Black. However, this wasn't the only business he owned. He owned several hundred more throughout the United States, and he was a political power in the criminal world. He was truly a two-faced bastard; in the public's eye, he was a man of justice. In the criminal's eye, he was the mastermind. I slowly opened my eyes and I flickered them over to the right to see the jury starting to pile in. I heard a sound to my left, and slowly turned my head to see Black put his briefcase down on the table. His eyes met mine and I immediately looked away. Black had to come up with another line of defense because I had refused to eat, making me look abused on the outside. No one know how shattered I was on the inside.

"You seem nervous." I looked up at Black as he nonchalantly began sorting his files.

"It would seem I am," I replied softly, not even wasting my time with a smart remark.

Black smirked down at me. "Where has your fire gone?"

"Gee, it would seem like I had a virus come and suck it all out of me," I snarled as I looked back down at the ground.

"You will need that fire to be convincing," retorted Black as he continued sorting his files. "I shouldn't have to remind you what is on the line here, now would I?"

"How about you focus on your job, and I'll focus on mine." Black didn't say another word as the door in the back opened. I looked over my shoulder, and for some odd reason, anger flared up inside of me. There, walking down the aisle to the opposite table, was Justin Freel dressed in his Sunday best. I watched him take a seat and his eyes met mine. Anger surged through me. The last time I had seen this pig-face was when Ally was still alive. Murderer, a voice screamed in my head and I tightened my hands into fists. No, I whispered in my head. Even though Justin Freel is partly responsible, it is Black who murdered her. I began shaking with anger when Justin Freel smiled at me. I started to stand when I felt Black's hand grasp my shoulder in a gentle hold.

"Easy tiger," he cooed as he, too, glanced over at Justin. "Save your hatred for the stand." I obeyed and allowed myself to be pushed back into my chair. I looked away from both of them. I wanted so badly to expose them both, but the visions in my head of those days being 'persuaded' by Black were too horrible I didn't dare speak against Black. A figure stopped in front of me and I looked up to see a man staring back down at me. He seemed to be in his early thirties, about five years older than Black was my guess, with the beginnings of a beard. His brown hair was slicked back to one side, and his hazel eyes burned into me. Something about this man intimidated me, and I narrowed my eyes at him. He didn't seem dangerous like Black, but he had the same dark aura around him. I knew he was someone I shouldn't mess with.

"Strange," he said in a low voice. "I half expected the young lady to be in such a distraught state of mind from being tormented with the death of her friend. And here I find her staring at me with such hatred in her eyes it is almost...overwhelming." The color drained from my face. His voice was like a blade, low and cruel. My throat went dry. The man's eyes moved over to Blacks direction, and his eyes narrowed slightly as Black looked at him. "She doesn't look to be in a state of mind that would send her spiraling to an abyss."