Chapter Four

The same cruel voice that saved me in the lobby the other day echoed throughout the basement. I snapped open my eyes and struggled to see the man standing over by the man with the list. All I could see were his legs and his black shoes. I  strained to glance up at Ally's face, and her face was twisted with horror. This made the knot in my stomach tighten all the more. He walked over, pulled out a pen, and marked off something on the list. The man with the list looked uneasily up at him. I could pick up the faint dots of sweat beginning to form on his forehead. At the moment, I did not envy the position he was in. 

"Sir, you're partner already has his—"

"That's my partner," the cruel voice interrupted, and the man snapped his mouth shut. "This one is for me." I didn't blame the man for agreeing with him. I heard the footsteps and I saw the black polished shoes stop a few inches from my face. "I would hate to remove you." The foot left my back but before I could recover, a large hand grabbed my arms and hauled me up, making me face away from him. He forced me to walk, and I stumbled over my feet as we headed towards the stairs. My head was spinning from confusion. The man with the list nodded his head and continued calling out names. We continued walking up the stairs; Ally a few steps ahead of me. As we exited the basement, pig-face and Ally turned right, while I turned left. I struggled against him, and I was shocked he let me turn around to see Ally disappear behind the corner.

"Ally!" I shouted as he began to drag me again. The man chuckled as he forced me into the elevator. He pulled out a badge and pushed the number 6 button, then scanned the badge. The doors closed, and the silent ride up continued. I couldn't help but wonder what this man looked like. I wondered if he looked as scary as his voice sounded and judging by Ally's reaction, he did. The elevator doors opened and we made our way towards the suite on the end. He entered in a code and the door unlocked. He walked through and took an unexpected left turn, making me stumble over my feet to catch up. I heard him chuckle again as he brought me into a large room. He shoved me towards the bed, and I stumbled, landing on top of it.

"Don't move," he ordered. My body was trembling as I heard him address another man in the other room. "I have one in my room. Stay out of there."

"What?" came another voice. I sat up as I listened. "But we already have one! Why do you get a special one?"

"Because I want one. And now you have your own. Don't complain." I heard his footsteps coming back and I looked away, part of me fearing what I would see. I heard the door close and the sigh of the man as he walked in. "Are you not going to look this way?" I swallowed nervously.

"Where's Ally?" I asked quietly, shocked I still had a voice.

"I wouldn't be worrying too much about her," he replied. I heard him walk over to the dresser. Finally giving in, I looked over at him and my eyes widened. I only saw his back for the moment, but he was dressed in a black suit, and looked to be about 6'5 in height. His jet black hair was slicked back, and I watched as he took off a dark maroon tie. I quickly turned back around. I didn't want this man to see me staring. Part of me was cautious, and the other  part curious. I wanted to know what type of person he was. He was obviously someone with authority, otherwise none of the other men would listen to him. I had a feeling he terrified the other men just like he terrified me. I straightened up my shoulders. All I had to do was play along, and then once the week was up I would be able to get back to my normal life. Well, as normal as I could get. "You clubbed a few men downstairs, huh?" Digging up some courage, I turned around to see him sitting in a chair, his black jacket off and his white undershirt slightly unbuttoned at the top. Strands of hair dangled slightly in his face and his eyes were a deep brown. Even his smirk had darkness within it. But it wasn't his appearance that left me speechless. I knew him.