Finding a Mate

Asher strolled into the unusually large kitchen whistling. He kissed his mother swiftly on the cheek, dodged his brothers' game of rough house, and handed the youngest sibling, Dylan, an apple he couldn't reach from the counter.

"Someone's in a good mood," Aiden said with a smirk. He was one of the older brother's, though he was less mature than six year old Dylan.

Landen, who was in a chokehold by his twin Lucas, shoved him to the ground. "Well, it is that time of year again."

"What time?" Little Dylan asked curiously.

"Mating season." The eldest brother yawned as he walked into the threshold with his mate Lily beside him. She blushed in embarrassment. It wasn't a secret that she and Leo spent the night together, but his family could have cared less. In fact, their mother was practically glowing at the thought of grandchildren.

Ah, mating season, Asher thought with a grin. The best time in the world. Where werewolves sought out their mates and if found, ravished them to no end. There was no better past time he could think of.

"Yeah, its too bad Ash won't find his mate," Lucas yelled from the seat across the room. He put his feet on the table and smirked at his older brother.  "Not last year, not this year, not next."

"Leave your brother alone." Their mother laughed as she prepared the table. "I think its sweet he's excited for her."

"Yeah, he's definitely excited, Mother." Bradley laughed, swiftly blocking a punch from Asher. So much for his good mood.

"I'll find her this year," Ash growled, glaring at all his siblings across the dining table. "This year for sure."

"Wanna bet?" Landen took a seat beside him while Lucas took the other, sandwiching Asher.

"We could use some more money. Last years wage is already gone," Lucas stated with a fair grin.

"You guys shouldn't joke about this," Leo, the oldest of the seven, chided at his younger brothers. "This isn't some game. This is the person you will be spending eternity with."

Aiden rolled his eyes. "Yeah, yeah, save us the commitment speech, bro. We all know what mating season means."

Leo growled, silencing most of the house. He looked apologically at his mate. Lily returned the look with a resurring smile and giggled.

"I don't mind," she said softly, going on her toes to give him a quick peck.

Asher secretly stared at the couple from the table, resting his chin in his hands. He wondered if his mate would be like that; a shy, dependable girl, sometimes embarrassed, but kind to the core. Would her hair be blonde? Black? Brown? Would she have freckles along her face or maybe a tattoo on her body?

As mushy as the romance of it sounded, thinking of his mate sent his heart double time. He was sure, this year, he would find her.

"It's time to tone down the testosterone, Ash. I can fucking smell your sweat from over here." Bradley scolded. Asher responded by throwing a bread roll at his face.

The day continued normally as Asher dressed, eager to get out and shift into his wolf. He was going to search for her scent as he did every year. He wasn't quite sure what he was looking for, but Leo had told him about such an instinct. When it came time, his wolf knew how to track.

There was a knock and he looked up.

"Hey, got a minute?" Leo asked from the doorway, hands shoved in his pockets. Ever since their dad had passed, Leo had taken the role of father. He was probably the only one of his sons that actually resembled him too. The same dirty blond curls, bright blue eyes, and dark stubble along his jaw.

"Sure." Asher dropped his shirt into a bag and kicked it to the side. "What's up?"

"Going out?" Leo gestured to the bag.

"Yeah." Asher shrugged and took a seat on the bed. "Just a jog in the woods."

Leo nodded knowingly and took a few steps into the room. "You've always been rather excited to be a werewolf." His brother laughed and looked around Asher's room as if he had never been in there. "Remember your first shift?"

Asher winced as the memory returned. "If Lucas and Landen hadn't been taunting me over their shift, I wouldn't have broken your nose."

Leo laughed. "They needed to know who the older brother was." Then he sighed. "After that all you wanted to do was be a werewolf."

Asher just shrugged. "It beats being human." He glanced out the window, anxious. "Was there a reason for the pep talk?"

Leo patted Asher on the back. "I just wanted to tell you to take it easy. Being a werewolf isn't everything."

Asher raised an eyebrow. "But finding your mate is."

There was a long silence between them. Leo couldn't deny that and Asher knew it. "Ash..." His brother hesitated. "You're always putting in your all. I just wanna warn you to take it slow with your mate. She won't...understand what's going on."

Asher considered his words, then smiled. "She's made for me, Leo. Of course she'll understand." Asher took his bag and climbed to the window. "I'll be back late." Was all he said as he jumped out and shifted.

There was nothing in the world like being a wolf. The smells were stronger, the vision clearer. Almost everything you did was spontaneous. You never second guessed or hesitated. It beat being a human anyday.

Asher's ears flickered at the sound of a voice in the distance. He didn't recognize it, but he felt himself react to it anyway. Drawing near the sound, he picked up a scent of vanilla.

Everything had fallen out of his hands then. Asher was tracking it down no matter what.

Running, panting, breathing, tracking. All his senses were in unison. Her smell continued to linger in the air, driving him mad. She was close! So close, he just had to pin point where she was.

Something yellow crossed his vision and he stopped at once.

Warm brown eyes, small button nose. She had a few freckles sprikled along her cheeks and rich blonde locks as bright as the sun. Her hair was cut rather strangely to him; not quite at shoulder length and with one side shorter then the other. Her bangs went across her forehead, just out of the way of her chocolate eyes.

Locked on her gaze, his wolf could only communicate one word.

Mate.