An Ally

"Are you upset with me?"

Cecilie led the way back to her grandmother's, managing to smack into every thorn and branch the woods presented. As if her day wasn't going badly enough.

"Why would I possibly be upset with you, Tristan?" She asked, rubbing her elbow after a plant attacked it. "It's not like you deceived me or anything."

Tristan frowned, grabbing her arm. "Hey, look. This isn't as easy as it seems."

She shrugged his hand off, throwing her hands in the air. "Nothing you say is easy, Tristan. You always speak in god damn riddles." Cecilie glared. "I thought we were friends. I thought you cared about me."

"Cecilie. Wait!"

Someone grabbed her from behind and she screamed. The arms were thick and muscular, squeezing the life out of her.

Tristan pulled the man aside and flipped him over, managing to turn his arm until there was a deafening crack.

The man howled. Cecilie realized it was one of the older brothers but she couldn't place his name.

"There are two hundred and six bones in the body," Tristan growled. "That's one."

He continued to scream, pinned underneath Tristan. "Now, I want to know why you want to hurt Cecilie." He waited for a response.

The wolf's face was smacked into the dirt. He sucked up saliva, spitting into the dry earth. "She and her grandmother are hunters," he groaned around the pain. "We have to take them out. It's the only way."

"Where's Asher?" Cecilie demanded.

He glared at her. "You think he wants anything to do with you anymore? You tricked him. You're a hunter and he hates your guts."

Her face flamed as her face froze, letting the words sink in. She didn't expect that to hurt so much. God, why did it hurt so much?

"Scum," Tristan hissed, snapping his neck.

Cecilie gasped. "Did you...did you just kill him?"

"No." He turned to her. "Why? Did you want me to?"

"No!" She yelled and then relaxed. Now they were on a mission that meant absolutely nothing. "I knew he would hate me."

"No one can hate you, Cecilie. That guy was just scared." Tristan referred to the unconsious body.

"Scared?"

Tristan smiled. "Yeah. The whole hunters business has him bat shit crazy. That's probably why him and his friends were attacking you."

"They were attacking Asher..." Cecilies voice faded. Maybe, just maybe, Asher was protecting her.

Now she had to find him.

Cecilie ran the entire way back to her grandmother's house. All the wolves had disappeared, along with her grandmother.

A trail of blood was left where Leo was shot. Cecilie cringed, remembering when he lunged at her...and then was shot at.

"We have to go to their house," Cecilie stated.

Tristan shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "Aren't you worried about your grandmother? At all?"

Cecilie shrugged. "Not exactly. My family's a part of some ancient hunters group or whatever. We've been killing werewolves for centuries now."

Tristan laughed. "And you're mated to one? Talk about bad luck."

"I have a bad feeling about this." Cecilie bit her lip. "We have to go to Asher's house."

"Do you know where it is?"

"I was there...once." Before she ran away.

"That's certainly going to be helpful," Tristan mumbled sarcastically.

It took several attempts for Cecilie to find Asher's house, but she was surprised when she finally figured it out. She had a good sense of direction, but she didn't expect to remember the way so easily. Maybe it was a perk of being mated?

Outside, all seemed quiet. Tristan and Cecilie sat behind a bush, eying the house.

"Do you think they can...smell us?" She crinkled her nose at the sentence, feeling silly for saying it.