Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Tristan

I pushed the gas pedal down as far as it would go, leaving the Streets and the hell-raised group of people and sirens behind me as I drove. I sped down the route that had been set up for tonight until I made a left turn that put me on the path back to the main part of the city. It wasn't until I didn't hear the sirens anymore that I finally decided to slow down to fifteen above the limit.

"Hello? Tristan?" The breathy, feminine voice beside me reminded me that I wasn't alone. Green was in my passenger seat looking shocked, a little nervous, and oh so sexy in that denim skirt she had on. It rode up high on her thighs, exposing the smooth, flushed skin underneath. I let my eyes wander up from her legs across the small portion of her stomach that was left open between the top of the denim and the edge of her lacy tank top. I traveled up her torso, my appreciation resting on her breasts, and to her face. My gaze lingered on her pink lips just a fraction longer than was needed and then moved higher to trace the outline of her nose and look at the pale green color of her eyes that watched me cautiously.

When I'd heard the cop cars, it had been instinct to get my ass in the Camaro and drive the fuck away. I didn't need to go back to jail, but somehow through the crowd of frightened people and panicked screams my eyes had found a scared girl with brown hair laying on the ground about to get hauled off to the station or trampled by the stampede of people. I didn't think, I'd just acted. I'd sped a few feet from Green's anxiety-filled figure in a heap on the gas and tire stained pavement, grabbed her up, and put her in my car.

"What?" I glanced over at her again out of the corner of my eye, taking in the dark hair that hung down in waves over her shoulders. Her chest rose and fell rapidly as if she couldn't catch her breath and from the tropical scent that was filling the space of my car, neither could I. She smelled really good. She smelled like the beach and the fruity drinks that were often served on it. It was odd considering nothing about her screamed "beach bum". I didn't really know what she screamed except for obvious sex appeal that I was finding harder to ignore in this small space.

"Where are you taking me?" The tone of her voice indicated that it hadn't been the first time she'd asked me that question in the few short minutes we'd been together, but everything faded from my mind when I was behind the wheel of a car. She wasn't an exception to that rule.

"I don't know. You tell me, sweetheart." I knew exactly where I wanted to take her. I wanted to take her to my bed, but deciding I needed to keep my dirty thoughts to myself, I waited on her answer.

"Don't call me that. My apartment is a few blocks down from Bentley's café." She turned her head to look out the passenger side window, thus ending our eye-contact. I wanted to pull her face back around so I could look at those green irises again. They were so visible even in the dim lighting of my scarlet beauty. They were actually really pretty. She was really pretty, but there was something in the way she looked, in the way she moved that said she was hiding more than those pretty green eyes allowed outsiders to see. It both intrigued me and annoyed me at the same time. I was used to girls being open and honest about themselves. What I wasn't used to was the strange mystery that was Green.

"Thank you so much, Tristan for saving my life and not letting me be hauled down to the police station or stomped on," I said in high-pitched sarcasm. Her head snapped back and I smiled when I looked over to see a small spark within her pale greens.

"I didn't ask you to 'save' me. I didn't need to be saved. I was perfectly capable of handling things myself." Her voice was strong, but shaky as she spoke. Her chest was moving fast again and I couldn't help it. I snuck a small peek down at the cleavage that was mocking me beneath the lacy fabric. Fuck, maybe putting her in my car hadn't been a good idea. It made my mind go places it shouldn't be, but dammit if I didn't bask in the X-rated scenarios that my head was conjuring up.