Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Journey

Bentley's restaurant was busy and it wasn't even lunch time yet. We nearly had every table full. I had just taken one of my tables their bill and was heading back to the kitchen to check on my other orders. I poked my head inside the small kitchen and the heat coming from the grill hit my face.

"How we looking, Dex?" I asked the big guy manning the kitchen all by himself. He turned and nodded towards the two plates that were setting on the counter waiting for me. Dex was the only cook that Bentley had hired. When I first found that out, I had thought that that was a little odd. It seemed that she would have at least two to help speed things up, but then after my first day, I'd seen what Dex could do in the kitchen. He was a badass when it came to cooking and he didn't need the extra help.

"Your burgers are done, and the soups and sandwiches are getting there." I took the plates from the counter and started to walk back out the door.

"Tell Odette that her clubs are ready," he called out. I made my way outside and set the plates at their correct table. The two women that I served told me that everything looked delicious, and that they were good on refills and silverware when I asked. I made my rounds before turning back towards the small counter where the register and dessert case were. Bentley had just finished ringing up a couple of teenagers and sent them on their way before I approached. I let out a sigh and she turned her baby blue gaze to me.

When you looked at my boss, you almost had to take a step back. Her beauty was that enchanting. She had a model-like physique, using her tall and slender build to fill out the t-shirt and nice jeans that she wore almost everyday. Her features were sharp and defined against the sun tanned skin of her face. She looked like some kind of angel with her golden blonde hair and blue eyes.

"I know. I'm getting tired too, and all I've been doing is standing behind this counter since we opened," she said. I leaned against the dessert case full of cakes, cupcakes, and cannoli's as Odette walked out of the kitchen balancing four plates on her arms.

"Journey, your order for table six is done." Damn, Dex didn't waste any time when it came to getting orders out. I'd put that in less than seven minutes ago. I walked back and got my order to place it on the table of three teenage girls that were laughing and talking about someone's boyfriend cheating on someone in their class with a girl named Ellie. They thanked me and asked for some extra napkins which I quickly retrieved for them. Bentley leaned up against the wall behind the register watching us closely as Odette and I made our way back to stand beside her.

"Damn, I'm already exhausted and it isn't even lunch time yet," Odette breathed beside me. Odette was my only other co-worker besides Bentley and Dex. Where Bentley was slender and graceful, Odette was curvy and exotic. She said what was on her mind and didn't give a second thought to who might have a problem with it. She'd been the first person that I'd really met in Miami. I'd come in for an interview and she'd been opening up the café. Her pitch black hair only made the vibrant blue of her eyes stand out in a more distracting way. Bentley was the type of woman you had to touch to make sure she was real. Odette was the type of woman you had to touch because you already knew she was real. The girl was hot.

"I was just telling Journey that I was tired and all I'd been doing was standing up here cashing people out. Business is awesome today." Odette and I shared a look of agreement before the door opened.

"Well shit, my day was just ruined," Odette mumbled under her breath. Bentley and I looked up to see the three men that sat down at a table on the far right of the dinning room. I gasped.

They looked like people that should be in an ad for Calvin Klein or Hollister. The one sitting on the far right was blonde and had a smile that made women's brains stop working. His teeth flashed as he talked to the opposite two guys. When he turned his face to look at the menu in front of him I could see that his jawline was so sharp I could cut my hair on it. When he brought his gaze upward I saw the startling baby blue eyes that were oddly familiar.

The one sitting in the middle was a bit more rough-looking and built bigger than the blonde. His dark hair was straight and hung down to his shoulders. The tips barely touched the fabric of the tight gray shirt he wore. I could see a well-designed body underneath the thin cotton as well. When he looked up at what the blonde was saying his eyes landed on the girls and I behind the counter. They were a unique warm brown color from a distance.

The third guy that was on the left and across from the blonde one was probably the tallest one out of all of them. His hair was brown and brushed across his forehead as he looked at the menu in his hands. His arms bulged beneath the black t-shirt he had on and his skin was tan from the Florida sun. When he looked up his eyes met mine and I sucked in a quick breath as the realization hit. The shape of his face and the way his mouth started to tilt up into a knowing smirk told me that he was the one who had scared me at the door last night. The man who was looking at me had to be Tristan Hayes and dear God was he nice to look at. They all were.

"Who are they?" I asked Bentley and Odette. Odette's eyes narrowed when the blonde on the right looked up at her with a sexy smile. She turned on her heels and headed back to the kitchen to grab her next order of food.

"The one on the right that Odette can't stand is my brother, Wilder. The one in the middle is Chase Williams, a close friend of his. The one on the left is Tristan Hayes, your intruder from last night and Wilder's best friend." Now that she pointed out the relation to the beautiful blonde male at the table, I understood why his eyes had been so familiar. They were Bentley's eyes. I could see the resemblance almost instantly now. I guess the heavenly beauty ran in the family.

I started toward their table and Bentley grabbed my arm to keep me in place. Her grip wasn't firm or rough, it was soft and assertive. She was letting me know gently to stay put.

"Let Odette take care of them. You just worry about the other guests for now. Those three are a handful and Odette seems to be the only girl that can handle them." Well, how would she know if I could handle them or not if she didn't give me a chance?

"Well, if they're as much of a handful as you say then Odette may need my help." Bentley tilted her head slightly as if weighing my words. When she was done, she let go of my arm and nodded in agreement.

"You have a point. Help her out and make sure that she doesn't strangle my brother. Those two haven't ever been friendly to each other and I'd hate for today to be the day that she decides that's she's done putting up with his attitude. I love my little brother with all my heart, but he can be a really big headache when he wants to be." She pushed off the wall and helped the customer that strode up to the register. I went back to the kitchen to grab another one of my orders to deliver it before meeting Odette halfway to the table full of hot guys.

"I'm helping you with this table. Bentley said it was a good idea," I told her. She arched an eyebrow at me and put her hair up in a high ponytail to keep it out of her face. She paused slightly so she could look at me.

"Bentley said it was a good idea?" I nodded and she shrugged before dropping her hands.

"Yeah, is it not?" She shook her head and started towards the table with slow, angry steps. Wilder's gaze locked on hers and I saw her back stiffen.

"No, it's fine. It's just that she usually doesn't send new waitresses over to serve them. They have a habit of taking the girls home and then the girls quit after a few months because of the awkwardness it creates. I'm just the only one that their charm has never managed to work on, and that's because I'm not a ditsy bimbo with huge tits. I'm a smart cookie with huge tits and they are assholes. Pretty, but assholes." I looked over at the "pretty assholes" as we got closer to the table. Odette was right. They were pretty and I knew that a pretty boy could say very pretty things to a girl. It was another thing I had experienced in my small town of malice growing up, but like she said, pretty boys could be assholes. I didn't trust them. They would steal your innocence and then make you think that it was all your fault all while laughing at you like a gorgeous, non-scary clown. If Bentley was worried about me falling into bed with one of them then she was very wrong. Like Odette, I wasn't a ditsy bimbo. I was an independent woman who didn't need the distraction or mistake of a man in her life. I'd worked too hard to get to where I was to throw it all away for a panty-dropping smile and a hot body.