Safe in Mind

Classes weren't too hard.

Japanese schools mostly had the teacher lecture and demonstrate while the students listened. But Vann reminded himself that they also had six hour schooldays and sometimes students were expected to attend on Saturdays. That was going to be tons of fun.

Vann had to sit in front of Lydia, something else he wasn't to excited about. And judging by her expression when she noticed the position of the only empty seat in the entire classroom, she wasn't particularly thrilled, either.

Khouta, who sat beside Lydia, just found the whole thing humorous.

Ignoring Lydia's eyes drilling into his back and Khouta's smug grin, Vann managed to power through most of the day.

When lunch finally rolled around, Vann was relieved.

He leaned back in his seat, happy for the break. He wasn't to impressed with his lunch, but Dad had insisted on fitting in.

Mapo tofu was not something you typically ate in American schools. Vann knew how to use chopsticks, which was useful.

Khouta pulled his chair over to Vann's desk and made himself comfortable.

"What do you think so far, Akiyama-san? How's West High treatin' ya?"

Vann was about to speak when he was interrupted.

"I think he should just go back," Lydia said. Vann looked back at her desk, expecting to see her glaring at him again, but was startled when her hands slammed down on his own desk. Vann looked back at the desk behind him then back at Lydia.

"How did you-?"

"I don't like you."

Vann gulped. "O-okay..."

Lydia pulled her own chair up to the front of Vann's desk. She sat down and began to eat her own lunch.

Khouta laughed. "Don't worry about Mjölnir-chan. She's alright once you get to know her."

Lydia, who's mouth was currently full with a bite from a rice ball, simply glared.

"Well, it's good, I suppose," Vann went back to answering Kouta's question. "Just good?"

Vann nodded as he swallowed a piece of tofu. "American schools are different."

Khouta cocked an eyebrow. "Really? How so?"

"Well, for starters, we don't eat lunch in the classroom."

"Weird," Khouta said. "So where do you eat?"

Lydia rolled her eyes, apparently already bored of the conversation. So instead, she turned to the window as she continued to nibble at her rice ball.

That's when things started to get strange.

Vann noticed Lydia's eyes widen and her pupils dilate. She looked terrified. Up until this point, Lydia's full range of emotions included a passive stare or a death glare. Now she looked as if she'd just witnessed a murder.

Lydia dropped her rice ball and grabbed Khouta by the collar of his uniform and ran for the door.

"Where are you going?" the teacher questioned, obviously indignant at a student grabbing another so violently.

Lydia bowed in apology. "Sorry, Sensei, but there's something Kobayashi-san and I must attend to. We'll be back."

Then she ran out the door, Khouta in tow.

Vann just stared, confused.

What could possibly be out that window that would scare Lydia so much? When he looked to find out, he realized his mistake.