Look Alike

The next day, thankfully, started out normal.

When Vann woke up, there were no sharp-toothed albinos, or skeleton men, and definitely no red-eyed stalker girls. Vann sighed as he starred into the mirror. At first, he had been convinced that it was somehow a dream, but the small scar on the side of his neck dispelled that hope.

He touched the spot.

It felt strange.

Vann pulled away from his reflection in the mirror. As much as he wanted to put it off, he was going to enroll in school today.

The mere thought scared him a little.

Not as much as that red eyed girl, but almost.

It certainly didn't help that he actually had to be present for enrollment into the new school. Didn't he read somewhere that leaving your home when you have a stalker after you is a bad idea? Staying home didn't seem any better. That girl apparently had a talent for appearing randomly. Vann could only imagine how terrifying it would be for her to appear in his bed, or anywhere, really.

Reminding himself that school enrollment couldn't be avoided Vann tentatively left the bathroom.

Might as well face it.

Reluctantly, the boy stepped into the hallway. The apartment was nice, but it wasn't very large. In front of the door that went out into the sixth floor stood his father, straightening his tie.

"Um, Dad," Vann began. "I really think...I should, um, tell you something. You see, last night-"

"I'm sorry, son," Naoki interrupted, "but it'll have to wait until later. Don't want to be late for your first day of school. Now where did I put those papers?

Vann sighed as he picked up the stack of papers that were his medical records and old report cards (all translated into Japanese, of course). What was he going to do if his father wouldn't listen? He certainly couldn't go to the police complaining about a girl with red eyes who held a combat knife to his neck!

He wouldn't be able to tell him in the car. When Naoki Akiyama was focused on something, it could be dangerous to attempt to move that focus.

So what was he to do?

He could just wait until after they visited the school. But what if the girl tried to get to him?

'You're being paranoid, Vann," he thought, 'why would she want to attack you at school?'

Vann's attention returned to his father who was heading out the door minus his son.

"Ahhh! Dad! Wait up!'

Vann sped out the door so fast that he seemed to kick up dust.

---------------------------------------------

"The boy could be useful to Master Morpheus's cause, sister," the form of a child whispered to its companion.

"Perhaps, brother, but he is weak. Much too weak for the Taleh Toper. Such a powerful being would tear him to shreds."

The two children were perched on top of a building across from the apartment complex the Naoki's now resided in. The boy was looking through a pair of binoculars into the Naoki apartment as Vann sprinted through the door after his father.

"Maybe we could lick up what's left," the girl giggled.

The two couldn't have been older then twelve.

They seemed to be dressed to make any self respecting lolicon or shotacon bleed profusely from the nose.

"Wait," the boy said, "when did we begin to employ HER?"