chapter seven-Shadows

Enjoy :)

(No proofreading done yet)

© All Rights Reserved 

Shane had told me that we all still needed to go to school tomorrow, as if everything was normal. But of course nothing is normal and never will be again.  I shouldn’t be complaining though; I had this new responsibility to take on, I am a princess after all, I should start acting like one.

The smell of blood disturbed my train of thought; I spun around to see matt bent over a small, eroded, gloomy pot. Wrinkling my nose I asked “What are you even doing?”

He scanned over a piece of paper looking confused “Trying to make a potion for Shane”

“Why?”, I asked curious

Matt sighed impatiently, “So he won’t look out of place with those ignorant humans” he waved his hand in the air irritably.

“Oh...” I said, not knowing how to respond. Matt seemed really stressed and on edge, his mousy brown hair stuck out in odd places. I didn’t want to bother him anymore so I offered my help, “So, anything I can do?”

He was silent for a moment before saying “Yeah, you can get some of these for me” he handed me the rough piece of paper. I scanned over the ingredients that were placed upon it. 

(check)  -1 faerie wing

(Check)  -1/2 cup human skin

(check)  -2 glowing mushrooms

(check)  -eye of a Cyclops

-clippings elf hair

-mint leaves

-Human forest leaves (RED)

“’Eye of a Cyclops’ you got to be kidding me” 

Matt laughed a bit, “Apparently it’s a complicated potion with a Cyclops eye. Don’t ask me, Sarah is the one who normally makes it for him. I kind of feel sorry for the guy now.”

“Right, okay then” All this talk of Cyclops and potions is so strange for me, how am I supposed to even fit into their world-well my world.

“Yeah sorry; I know it’s weird for you, but you do fit in, it’ll be easier trust me” He gave me a smile.

“I swear you just read my mind” I was becoming very suspicious of him

He coughed awkwardly “Yeah well I kind of can, power of being a warlock you know. Sorry.”

“Hmm well that’s good to know then. Anyways I take it you want me to get the red leaves and mint leaves?”

“ Yup, just go into the forest; the red leaves are scattered everywhere so get a handful of them, and the mint leaves are normally around the oak tree, you won’t be able to miss it.”

“The forest” I said skeptically

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine it’s the middle of the day, nothing is going to hurt you”

“Ugh fine” I slipped my black converses on and headed over towards the door.

“I’ll see you in a bit” Matt waved me goodbye, then continued stirring the green liquid that started forming in the the pot.

I shut the door quietly as to not wake up Shane, who was snuggled up in blankets asleep, I smiled before making my way out. I took in a shaky breath, my feet leading me in direction to the forest.

                                                                               ***

The sound of crunching leaves seemed to echo beneath my feet in the sorrowing, empty forest. Matt was right, as I scanned over the forest I saw plenty of red leaves scattered around. I scrunched a few in my pocket, hoping that it will be enough for the potion.  Now all I needed  to find was some mint.

I gawked up to realize that the massive oak tree was basically right in front of me. As I stood before the old oak, mint leaves were surrounding it. It was a strange sight, as I have never seen mint grow around a tree before, especially an oak tree. Not like it was a problem, as long as I get what I needed and head back quickly and safely, nothing else mattered.

The smell of fresh mint surged its way up to my nose as I stuffed a hand fall in my pocket. Well that should be enough, but I decided I didn’t want to go back straight away, I just wanted to relax.

I sat the other side of the tree, leaning against its great exterior; taking in a deep breath of mint and the earthy smell that was all around me. It was strange to think that just a couple of days ago a Velumus was going to kidnap me and kill Shane in this exact place. I knew what Shane did to him but I didn’t like to think about it.

 I leaned my head back and listened to the wind touch the crowns of the oaks, making its leaves rustle. Birds chirped loudly as if singing a pleasant song, I was at ease for once.

 I sudden rustle of leaves made me lurch to my senses. I peeped my head around the side of the tree. I saw, I saw nothing. I stood back behind the oak confused, I swear I heard something. But I knew in my gut something wasn’t right.

 I sucked in a breath when someone abruptly clamped their hand over my mouth and dragged me down. I started struggling before my captor whispered frantically in my ear “Shh, it’s Shane.  You don’t want to know what’s out there. Now, we have to act normal, we are going to walk out this forest like everything is fine, you are going to look straight ahead and not look back. Can you do that for me?” I nodded as his hand was still tightly clamped over my mouth.

 Shane entwined his hand in mine, I could feel how cold he was; his hand slightly shaking, I knew he must be scared, but of what? I didn’t know.

We strolled along, making our way towards the park where the forest finishes. I tried so hard not to look back; something felt like it was pulling and begging me to look back. I tried will all my might, but I just couldn’t resist its call.

I looked round.

My eyes widened as I came face to face with a horrific sight. A mysterious figure hovered in the air before us; it was cloaked in murky ink that dripped slowly to the ground, I felt sick from the sight. But for some reason I was walking towards it, one foot steadily going in front of the other.

It lifted up its gloomy liquid ink arm, summoning me to it, I was captivated by it.

“Elizabeth!” Shane bellowed out, causing me to shake out of my trance. I looked up and the unknown figured roared out an excruciating scream.

I ran over to Shane quickly who held me back, protecting me with his own body.  Shane’s body began to shake as he clasped his hands together, great strong wind formed in his fastened hands.  He shot violent powerful air at the gloomy figure in front of us. It screamed out again, but in annoyance not pain, Shane’s power didn’t affect it at all.

It came gliding towards us, I held on to Shane’s shoulders shaking like a leaf. Shane stood his ground but there was nothing he could do, we were doomed!

Before I knew it a bright light flashed before my eyes towards the shadowy figure, causing it to screech and zoom away.  I let out a steady breath.

I glanced round to see a man not too far behind us, his long auburn hair looking wild. His hands were outstretched, I realised it was him that must have shot the light and saved us.

He saw me looking at him and raised and raised an eye brow, “So Shane would you like to explain to me why you were trying to make friends with an Omnire?”  

"Uncle” Shane breathed

“I think it’s about time you and me had a little chat, and make sure you bring the Princess too. She has been through enough today already”