Unexpected Love - Chapter 6

I barely see Shane for the rest of the day.

The only time when he actually acknowledges my existance after his outburst at lunch is during the dreaded factions exam. While I'm waiting for our teacher to hand out the exam papers, I catch his eye from the other side of the room. I give him an annoyed, puzzled look as to why he's sitting so far away from me. We always sit together for Maths.

His right eyebrow tugs up in a small declaration of his 'I don't give a shit' attitude. I refuse to allow myself to even glance at him for the rest of the class.

And that was it. We have no more classes together after Maths, so I don't see him for the rest of the afternoon. Not that it bothers me. He deserves my anger towards him. He's the one being a complete asshole. 

"Damon!"

I stop in my tracks on my way towards the exit of the school, my car keys swinging in my hand. For a split second I had hoped it was Shane calling me. Calling me to apologise and admit to being unreasonable. But the unmistakable voice is a few pitches too high to be Shanes, and belongs to my girlfriend.

"Yes?" I answer with a small smile, pulling her to the side of the hallway as we are in people's way.

She looks flustered and her eyes are wide. I frown and take her hand in mine instantly. No matter what, I will always protect Lucy. "What's wrong, Luce?" I demand, my jaw tightening.

"It's Shane.." She begins, but already my mind is going into meltdown. Every possibility of what could have happened to him are running through my mind, making my hands shake. I drop Lucy's hand and cross my arms, trying to conceal how the prospect of anything happening to Shane affects me. 

"Yes?" I mumur in a hard, fabricated tone. I am doing everything I can to keep my emotions in check. I'm probably making something out of nothing.

"He's been arrested." Or maybe not. 

"What? How could he have been arrested, he's been in school all day!" My voice is getting harder and louder. My initial panic and worry over Shane immediately evaporates, only to be replaced by anger and astonishment.

"He got into a fight.. First with Clarke, then with one of his teachers.. They called the cops on him."

Lucy looks at me with steady eyes, analyising how I was going to react. She knows how close Shane and I are.

I nearly laugh at how little she knows. I'm an asshole and a hypocrite. Judging Shane for his attitude towards Lucy when I may as well be stabbing her everytime I even look at Shane. I flinch at the thought but return to the crisis at hand.

"Okay.. I'm going to go to the station so, I guess. I can hardly see his Mom picking him up," I roll my eyes at the pathetic waste of space that is his Mother. She spends her days lounging on the sofa of their two-bedroomed apartment, drinking straight whiskey and vodka and smoking weed with all of her druggie friends. Shane hates it with all his might. Any time his Mom is mentioned, his eyes cloud over and his mouth forms a straight white line.

The only thing that's keeping him there and in school is the promise we made to each other two years ago. We are going to move to London and get an apartment in the center.

Lucy is thinking of going to London too for a course she wants to do in college. I have my mind set on Law, and the best recommendations insist that this University in London is the best. I think Shane is only coming along to stay with his friends and get away from his Mom, really. I hate what she's put him through. I hate her.

"I'll come with you," Lucy insists as I walk with a quicker pace to my car. Even though I'm livid at Shane for getting into this mess, I don't want him to spend any extra time in the filthy jail.