Unexpected Love - Chapter 13

I drop Gracie to Lucy’s straight after I leave the station. I need to clear my head and I was only going to be half an hour earlier so I knew it wouldn’t be a problem.

Lucy’s mother came out and greeted me. She had a grim smile on her face as Gracie raced over to give her a hug. I knew straight away that today was a bad day. Lucy would probably stay in bed for the whole day, coming down every once in a while. I set my lips in a thin white line, nodding in understanding.

Once I’d kissed Gracie goodbye and had driven off, I allow myself to process what just happened. I don’t think I was even aware at the time that Shane was there. I was so blinded by fury and heartbreak that I don’t think I even acknowledged that he was here. Back in town. Within touching distance.

It was what I had wanted for so long; what I’d still wanted. I had expected to be pissed off and angry with him, but I was not expecting what came out of my mouth.

I’m suddenly so angry at myself. I thought I had been angry at him, and I had been, to an extent. But now, now that I can think clearly, not once did he insult me. Not once did he say anything with the intention to hurt my feelings. He only had a look of remorse and guilt for the majority of the time.

I, on the other hand, was a top-class asshole to him. Thinking back on the last thing I said to him as I left the room... I shake my head in annoyance. Why had I said that? I didn’t mean it. I only said it to hurt him... but why am I trying to hurt the man I love the most in this world?

I start driving towards the station faster; I had decided to go to work early and build up some extra hours. Now, however, I was going to the station for an entirely different reason.

I was going to try and talk to Shane again; to beg him to talk to me and hope that we can work things out. It hadn’t been his fault entirely. He had listened to that poisonous bitch Rita. He had assumed that I’d chosen Lucy. I guess I couldn’t blame him for assuming that.

I try not to dwell on the fact that all of our problems in the first place seemed to have come from me; stemmed from my need to try and please everyone. I fucked everything up. I handled the situation horrendously.

I still had resentment towards him too, though. I couldn’t help that. The fact that five years had come and gone... the fact that he didn’t once contact me...

I know I had been a dick when it came to breaking up with Lucy. But to cut me out of his life so drastically... I could never have done something like that to him. If the roles were reversed, I never would have left him like that. I could never have stayed away.

If the roles were reversed, he would have broken up with Lucy the second you asked him to.

I ignore the voice in my head and park in front of the station, running in through the main door.

Mike is sitting behind the desk and peers at me through his glasses. He seems confused by me barging in, my eyes darting around the place for Shane. Once he realises why I’m in such a panic he just sighs and shakes his head.

“He left right after you. He didn’t say much. He was in a foul mood, though. Got any idea why that might be?” Mike tilts his head and gives me a knowing look.

He knows. I don’t know how, but I just know that he does. There’s no second-guessing. Mike Carrell, my step-father, knows about me and Shane. Just from that one look, he said it all.

“How long have you known?” I ask in defeat, allowing the disappointment and disbelief rush through me as I realise that I’ve lost Shane for a second time. I try to keep standing as I feel my knees almost buckling at the realisation.