Unexpected Love - Chapter 8

I rush down the white hallways of the hospital, the disinfectant smell stinging my nose. I can hear Shane’s footsteps right behind me and I’m slightly shocked that he came with me. I had expected him to wait in the car.

But then again, I couldn’t really count on my expectations; especially not after today.

“Michael Philips... He was brought in earlier today because of a heart attack,” I blurt to the receptionist, who has a bored, uninterested look on her face.

“Are you family?”

“No, but – ”

“Then I can’t release any information, I’m sorry sir,” she doesn’t look the slightest bit worried or interested, and as I’m about to argue with her, I feel Shane’s hand on my shoulder.

A tingle rushes down my spine and I gulp before turning to look at him, taking a glance at his hand on my shoulder.  

Before I can ask anything, he nods his head in the direction behind me. He seems to have a look of guilt and resentment on his face, if the two can even co-exist in one expression.

I turn around quickly, brushing his hand off of my shoulder. I know he won’t like that, but he’s  not my priority now. Lucy has to be.

As I guessed, she’s walking towards us from where Shane was looking. Her eyes are red and bloodshot and her face is pale. My heart gives a guilty, horrified lurch as I hurry towards her, giving her a tight hug.

She clings to me, bursting into tears once we make contact. I stroke her hair softly, trying to comfort her. But there’s no way I can comfort her. Not from this situation. Not when her Dad could be dying or already dead.

“Lucy... How is he?” I ask gently, pulling her back so I can look at her distraught face. Shane is standing next to me now, his lips pulled into a straight, grim line. I pray that he doesn’t start getting jealous. Not now.

That thought seems so weird to me. That Shane would be jealous. It doesn’t seem to make sense. Before today, before that kiss, I wouldn’t have believed it. But from his reactions to Lucy, that thinking back on were pretty extreme, it’s not so impossible to believe anymore.

It took her a few more seconds to compose herself. Had he died? No... She wouldn’t be here with me if he had, right? Mr Philips was a strong, healthy man. There’s no way this could take him out.

“He’s hanging on. But barely,” she sobs clutching my shirt as she tucks her head into my shoulder, bursting into tears again.

I felt so sorry for Lucy at this moment in time. Her father was close to dying and her boyfriend had cheated on her with another guy. I pray to God that he survives.

Shane shuffles awkwardly from one foot to the other, hands shoved in his pockets. I glance at him and notice that his eyes have a glassy look about them. He’s staring at the wall and keeps swallowing hard. I wonder if he’s still pissed off about being in jail, but then, I remember.

Shane’s father died in this hospital five years ago from a heart attack. I remember the day well as I was there too, except that time I had been hugging Shane as he sobbed and I tried to hold the tears in.  I can’t believe I could have forgotten about that. I wouldn’t have made Shane come with me if I’d just sat back, calmed down and remembered.

But I had been so pent up from that kiss, and Lucy’s voice on the phone...

I am a horrible boyfriend. And I am a horrible best friend. Is that what we still are, even? Best friends?  I start to panic as I think about the repercussions of what happened between Shane and I. Will we be able to go back to normal?