Unexpected Love - Chapter 1

UPDATE (April 2014): Hello everybody and welcome to my first ever Wattpad story ;D I started writing this over two and a half years ago and I'm slightly mortified at some of my writing from back then.. I'm writing this update to urge you to stick with it because my writing has (hopefully) improved!! Thanks again for reading this story and if you like any bit of what I'm writing, please check out some of my other stories! :) 

 - - - - - 

Hello people of Wattpad!

Please be patient with me.. I'm still trying to get a hang of how to work this website! I think I understand the basics now.

Can you please please comment and tell me what you think? I'm seventeen and I'm trying to decide on career choices (School is pressuring me enough without my own worries to be added to it haha), so it would be great if you could tell me if I have any talent, because I would absolutely LOVE to be a writer!

Thanks for reading! 

-O xx

Get out of my head. Get out of my head, dammit.

I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose as I try to concentrate on the fractions lying in front of me on my study desk.

Focus. Just focus. You're just confused. No big deal. Focus. The test is tomorrow. Focus.

I manage to sit there for another five minutes before angrily throwing my pencil onto the desk and rising from my seat in surrender.

I climb down the stairs of my two-story house and head straight for the fridge, retrieving the milk carton and taking a slug from it.

"Damon. Get a glass for God's sake."

I spin around to see my Mother folding clothes on the table with her eyebrows raised in disapproval.
I wordlessly go and get a glass, pouring the milk into it quietly.

"How's the study going?" she asks, placing a pair of my jeans into the pile of already folded clothes.

"Its not. I can't seem to concentrate at all," I admit, taking a sip and leaning against the work-counter.

"Oh, well maybe you should get some fresh-air or something? Clear your head?" She offers, finishing the folding and scooping the clothes into her hands.

I nod at her but don't say anything.

I know that getting some fresh air wouldn't fix this. Feelings can't just be brushed aside.

Not with me, anyway.

"Or maybe give Shane a ring? You can invite him over and play some basketball out front," she shouts over her shoulder as she walks to the stairs with the clothes.

My heart leaps and thuds beyond control, and I swallow nervously, praying my voice will stay steady.

"Nah. He's probably busy," I mutter, putting my glass in the sink and staring out through the window above the sink that overlooks our entire street.

I listen to Mom's footsteps as she walks up the stairs and can't help put smile slightly. No matter what situation I'm in, she always is there to try and make it better. She's always been there for me. Ever since Dad left when I was two, she's done everything in her power to protect and love me. But she can't protect me from this. How can she protect me from my own heart?

I snap out of my daydream and try to motivate myself to return to the dreaded task of studying. A task made even harder by my stupid, unreliable heart.

I need to stop referring to it as a choice of my heart. That would insinuate that I was actually in love with him.

Which I'm not.

It's simply my brain trying to sort through.. stuff. It's normal to be confused at this age. Everyone goes through it at some point in their life.

As I head back to my study table to try and tackle the books again, the doorbell rings and a familiar voice calls up the stairs from the front door. A voice that makes my insides turn to mush and my eyes light up.

"Yo, Damon? You home?"

I close my eyes and just focus on breathing before getting up again and greeting my visitor. Scratch that. He's not just a mere visitor. Anyone can be referred to as a visitor. And he's not just anybody.

He's the god-damn love of my life.