Twenty two

1917

"I wouldn't mind a bit of gangrene if it got me a few weeks in bed."

Luke grins at me cheekily from his chair and I can't help but laugh, especially when a stern looking nurse gives him an disapproving glare.

"So you're going back to England then?" He asks once the nurse has moved away.

"Yeah. Looks like it." I shift, wincing at the red hot pain in my leg. I almost faint every time the nurse changes the dressing, not only from the agony, but also the horrific sight of raw, seeping crater of plup that used to be smooth flesh.

"Great." He grins, pushing back his blond hair in his customary way. "I'm pleased for you mate. Now I won't have to bloody worry about keeping a look out for you with that bastard. Reckon he's done you a favour."

He leans back and takes a swig from his hip flask before offering it to me. The nurse would go crazy if she found out, but I can't not have one last drink with Luke. I don't think I'll ever taste brandy again without picturing his grinning face.

"What about you?" I say hesitantly.

"What about me?" He frowns. Although I'll miss him, parting with Luke is not like parting with Jimmy. Luke is a good friend, but he doesn't need anyone. He's just as happy with you there are with you not.

"You'll be ok won't you? With Darlington-"

"Yeah I'll be fine." He shrugs. "I've got a score to settle with him-"

"Don't do anything stupid." I urge.

"I've got a score to settle with him. I swore it over Tommy's grave. That jumped up bastard will get what's coming to him."

"Luke." I say warningly. I know how reckless he is and it worries me.

"I'll be alright Harry. Always am." He smiles as if he hasn't a care in the world and looks around the ward. We sit in companionable silence for a while before he speaks again.

"Got a letter from Coleen yesterday." He says suddenly. I wait for him to continue. "She's met a new fella. Send back early because of some injury."

"I'm sorry Luke." I say quietly.

"I'm not." He shrugs. "I'm relived more than anything. Never really did want to get married, couldn't really picture myself doing it. It just sort of felt like it's what you're supposed to do and Coleen was eager as anything so I just went along with it. I just hope the poor lad isn't expecting his new wife to be a virgin." He grins wickedly and I laugh.

He hands his hip flask to me again and I take a long sip. I nearly choke as I spot the nurse bustling towards us and I quickly hide the drink by my side.

"Visiting time is up. Private Styles needs his rest. You've got 5 minutes." She says archly. Luke's cheerfulness on a her sombre ward has irritated her since he got here.

We watch her march away. Luke opens his mouth to speak but I'm aware of how little time we have left and I cut in.

"Thank you Luke. I wouldn't even be sitting here now if it wasn't for you, I don't remember much but you saved my life-"

"Alright, alright." He waves his hands to shush me. "You don't have to declare your undying love for me."

The doors at the end of the ward open and the nurse glares at him pointedly."

"It's nothing Harry. What are mates for?" He stands, pulling a piece of paper and a small pencil from his pocket. "Can I have your address? I'd like to write to you, or at least know how I could find an old pal if I ever visit England."